council.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tell them and they'll fine you for not telling them you wanted a pond in the first place. Then they'll increase what you owe them.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Councils can be incredibly thick. The council where my house in the UK is sent me a bill here for council tax despite me living 2500 miles away. Even took me to court for it for non payment due to post here.
Reversed it but no apologies.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Councils can be incredibly thick. The council where my house in the UK is sent me a bill here for council tax despite me living 2500 miles away. Even took me to court for it for non payment due to post here.

woooshhhh!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Reversed it but no apologies
I thought if you had a property here even if its empty you have to pay the CT. It been raised loads of times that people who have inherited properties even though they don't live in it have to pay the CT straight away. Also its more than if it was occupied?. It must be different if you actually live abroad?

Alex321

Veteran
I thought if you had a property here even if its empty you have to pay the CT. It been raised loads of times that people who have inherited properties even though they don't live in it have to pay the CT straight away. Also its more than if it was occupied?. It must be different if you actually live abroad?

Even if you klive abroad, you need to pay the coiuncil tax on an empty property - and as you say, it will normally be more than the rate for an occupied proeprty. The amount varies by council, but here it is 100% premium (I.e you pay double the amount you would if the property was occupied).

There are some exemptions, but living abroad isn't one of them, unless you have moved in order to be a carer for somebody.
https://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/en/our_council/council_tax/Empty-and-Exempt-Properties.aspx

Drago

Legendary Member
A new pond? Keep that quiet of they'll find a way to tax you on it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, that's correct. It was empty for a few weeks after the last tennants moved out and I paid them for that when the new ones moved in. Instead of enquiring through the letting agents who paid or sending a demand to the new tennants they sent it to me here in Ghana. Weird.

Sorry for the thread hijack Posty.

Last edited:

presta

Guru

I thought unoccupied houses were still subject to council tax.

Top Bottom