Courier caught throwing bike over fence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd say that's being a bit tight; 10% is what you could reasonably negotiate on a new purchase anyway, so I'd ask for more than that. I know they weren't the ones who threw the bike over but that's their problem. Worst they can do is say no.
Their agent threw the bike over. Probably the OP didn't hire or even choose DX. I'd be rejecting this - the Distance Selling Regs put the buyer in a strong position, don't they? - even if there's no other way to get the bike I really wanted in the right size. It seems that this wasn't a way to get an undamaged bike either :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
Wonder what Tredx will do with the bike? perhaps sell as ex display ? Would hope its not just inspected and sold on as new.

I suspect you've just answered your own question.

U

User33236

DX was the courier company, Tredz is the bike retailer. Don't get me wrong Tredz are very apologetic. I'm just worried that x amount of time a crack or something might show and it will be to late then.
Bikes generally bounce a bit better than folk think but to force the point home that such courier behaviour is unacceptable I would insist on a new bike from Tredz. They would no doubt have Dx pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Unfortunately everyone wants their deliveries as cheap as possible, so the courier companies pay the drivers peanuts per delivery - and guess what? They get monkeys that launch packages over fences, not conscientious employees who treat deliveries with care. I'm not condoning this at all; I'd be furious if an expensive item came sailing over my fence, but this sort of thing happens so much these days because unless the driver tears about like a loony in their van and takes a chance with chucking things over fences or leaving them on doorsteps in full view, they don't earn decent money.
As an aside, if a bike is not robust enough to shrug off a drop over a fence, I would not have much confidence in it's ability to survive the rigours of carrying the weight of an adult over bumpy potholed roads. Presumably the OP ordered a carbon fibre bike, hence the word "crack" being used rather than "bend".....

pjd57

Veteran
Ask for a full refund and the scratched bike to keep free of charge.

No harm in asking .

They might go 50/50

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
When people order things online that require sending to their address, they tend to look pretty hard at how much they are being charged for delivery, especially on orders of only modest value where P&P charges can be a substantial proportion of the total amount. I know I do, as I will often bump up an order with an extra item in order to pass the suppliers "free" delivery threshold if they have one. Sellers want cheap couriers because it enables them to keep their prices competitive and offer "free" delivery as part of their customer offering. We. the customer, are part of the problem. I will very rarely pay extra for 24 hour delivery etc, unless I really really need something ASAP. At least nine times out of ten, if not more, I just use whatever the "economy" delivery option is that the retailer offers

U

User33236

We are all not privy to the full supply chain of a bike from manufacturer to store so at any point in the chain a bike package could have been abused.

In this instance though the OP witnessed its occurrence and has rightly taken the issue to task.

Only in this way will a balance be reached between quality and cost of delivery service.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When people order things online that require sending to their address, they tend to look pretty hard at how much they are being charged for delivery, especially on orders of only modest value where P&P charges can be a substantial proportion of the total amount. I know I do, as I will often bump up an order with an extra item in order to pass the suppliers "free" delivery threshold if they have one.
Really? Other people don't look and not buy from sellers who only offer parcelfarce and yo-farking-del?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes go for a new bike.

Tredz seem to be on board with you - let them embarass the courier.

By the by, Hermes turned up at my door with a package the other day - it was for a neighbour and the courier chappie was very good about filling in details, informing the neighbour. I told him his company had an awful reputation and he was aware of lots of bad customer feedback for this south London patch.

Lots of courier companies are wonky these days. I have had a computer (clearly labelled as such) left on my doorstep when I was out. I think that was "Royal" Mail. I have also had royal mail ring my bell and then just trot off leaving stuff on my doorstep, not waiting to see if I was actually in or not - they could have had no way of knowing that I was actually in. I chased the chap down the estate and he was entirely unapologetic. Next time I complain.
I had a spate of royal mail just stuffing the your not in note through the letter box without even knocking/ringing as i have sat watching them walk up the path .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had something similar happen to me. The bike arrived in a slightly damaged box with the hanger for the rear mech snapped in two. The supplier said that they would send a new hanger. Then I found that the skewer for the wheel wouldn't fit in the slots on the front forks, at which point I wondered what else I might find in the near future. The supplier said they would take it back for a full refund.

It cost me £15 to package it up in bubble-wrap and tape etc, and lots of time. Make sure that they pay for all the hassle.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I read this thread with mounting disbelief at the naivety of the opinions posted:

1 - We demand 24 hour delivery by courier then whine about the roads being choked with white vans, many of which are actually running around mostly empty.

2 - As a consequence couriers are expected to make 45 drops a day so it's no surprise they drop and run or chuck stuff in gardens. I've been that delivery driver and the stress to get your drops done is unbelievable, especially on days of heavy traffic or when you are wasting time trying to rouse the dozy consignee. Your courier is not some lovable 1930s Postman Pat character, he's a bloke with a driving licence.

3 - Now it's all gone wrong and the retailer doesn't want to replace the bike so they have opened the big book of excuses and are pretending they haven't got another one the same size. It's excuse number three on page one. They actually think the bike will have survived unscathed because they know all bikes get thrown around at all stages of the journey from Taiwan and very few ever get damaged because they are well enough packed and actually very robust indeed.

4 - Next the bike will need a service or repair and the OP will have to find a bike shop prepared to spend time doing an un-economical repair to a bike that they didn't sell. This and customers who buy parts on the web then expect the LBS to fit them, is what is killing the owner of a shop I know in Ramsbottom; he can't support his family and is looking for another job.

There's a simple answer: find a good independent local bike shop, support it, get to know the owner and staff, take them biscuits, test-ride their bikes then buy from them. Most retailers will give 10% to 12.5% discount and will of course sell you old models even cheaper and you will get the full after-sales service and quick adjustments free of charge from then on. Buy the consumables like tyres and brake blocks off the web and learn to fit them yourself.

A bike frame designed to carry up to 100 kilos along potholed roads is not going to break when thrown a few feet packed inside a rigid carton. If I was the OP, I would agree to accept the bike subject to a careful inspection for signs of damage.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
couriers are expected to make 45 drops a day so it's no surprise they drop and run or chuck stuff in gardens. I've been that delivery driver and the stress to get your drops done is unbelievable, especially on days of heavy traffic or when you are wasting time trying to rouse the dozy consignee. Your courier is not some lovable 1930s Postman Pat character, he's a bloke with a driving licence.

It's the dreaded P-word, Productivity, that the bean-counters who run the delivery firms expect. There is consumer and supplier pressure to provide delivery services both as cheaply and as quickly as possible. To do cheap, you need loads of stuff going to the same small area on the same day. To do fast you need to send a van out to Mr Jones within 24 hours regardless - even if no-one else in that town wants a parcel that day, so it's inefficient and costly. You can't do both cheap and fast and have staff on decent hourly wages. The one in the middle getting squeezed is the driver. It's not a job I would be willing to do as a self-employed sub-contractor getting paid per drop, which a lot of courier drivers are now.

Top Bottom