Courier caught throwing bike over fence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
For a moment, I thought the headline was about a disgruntled Addison-Lee rider fed up with his job and telling them to stuff it. :smile:

User269

Thought i'd post this to see what others thoughts are.. I was sitting in my dining room working from home yesterday as i was aware my new bike was to be delivered today the dining room looks out onto the back garden which is enclosed with a 6 foot wooden fence and gate. So i'm sitting there on the laptop with headphones on and next minute i see the £800 bike i've ordered being launched over my 6 foot locked gate said courier driver climbed half way up the gate to see where it had landed.

Obviously i complained to the retailer i bought the bike from and they are dealing with courier company and have said they would exchange the bike if it's damaged. Now what i want to ask is would you accept said bike damaged or not, just in case there is undetected damage which does not surface till further down the line?. I've not had time to fully inspect the bike due to work and family commitments but on taking it out the box and having a quick scan i can see there is some scuff marks and a few scratches.

So what are folks thoughts on this?

Assuming your back garden & locked back gate aren't the main entrance to your property, an additional issue for me would be that the item had not been delivered to your address, that is, your front door. Most of us don't receive callers or deliveries over our back garden fence or gate.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thought i'd post this to see what others thoughts are.. I was sitting in my dining room working from home yesterday as i was aware my new bike was to be delivered today the dining room looks out onto the back garden which is enclosed with a 6 foot wooden fence and gate. So i'm sitting there on the laptop with headphones on and next minute i see the £800 bike i've ordered being launched over my 6 foot locked gate said courier driver climbed half way up the gate to see where it had landed.

Obviously i complained to the retailer i bought the bike from and they are dealing with courier company and have said they would exchange the bike if it's damaged. Now what i want to ask is would you accept said bike damaged or not, just in case there is undetected damage which does not surface till further down the line?. I've not had time to fully inspect the bike due to work and family commitments but on taking it out the box and having a quick scan i can see there is some scuff marks and a few scratches.

I would have had words with the delivery driver to start with , no that they would care

and then as others have said ask for a replacement bike just in case

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get a louder door bell or take them headphones off if you're waiting for a delivery man at your door........^_^
Doesn't matter. Plenty of couriers don't even bother to try the door bell any more. I suspect they're being worked to tight schedules which don't take into account typical traffic, so they're looking for any way to save time. I've not suffered a really bad one for years but I did have one (UKMail I think) last month just stack the boxes (which said Fragile and no-stack) by the back door and card to say it... but I couldn't actually open the back door because the boxes were in the way(!) I realised before I made the stack fall and it all go wrong.

WRT the OP: new bike as it's scratched. If it was unscathed and steel, I would have probably accepted a thank you and discount, but I wouldn't accept a pre-crashed carbon or alu "new" bike. And this sort of shoot is what I'd expect from Halfords aka Tredz, too.

OP
OP
rnscotch

rnscotch

Veteran
Well a wee update, spoke to Tredz and they are willing to offer a 10% discount off any other bike as they cant replace the same bike due not being able to source the same size of bike.

I've not accepted yet as the whole experience has been tarnished as this was the first time i had ordered a brand new bike usually i buy used, I just don't understand the thought process of someone saying aye it will be ok to throw a bike over this here large gate what possibly could go wrong.

Thanks for the replies i just wanted to see if folk had the same thought process as me or if i was being a melodramatic princess. i'm not one for complaining but i thought this merits it.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

Don't accept that bike, no way. That's a heck of a fall for a bike.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
they are willing to offer a 10% discount off any other bike

I'd say that's being a bit tight; 10% is what you could reasonably negotiate on a new purchase anyway, so I'd ask for more than that. I know they weren't the ones who threw the bike over but that's their problem. Worst they can do is say no.

Top Bottom