Courier caught throwing bike over fence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've heard that for a recent arrival in the UK, courier driving has taken over from waitering as the easiest McJob to get you earning quick cash. I also heard that many south-Asians are moving out of the curry business into the courier business as investors fleeing instability in Syria and Iraq move in with kebab and shawarma restaurants.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've heard that for a recent arrival in the UK, courier driving has taken over from waitering as the easiest McJob to get you earning quick cash. In fact I heard that many south-Asians are moving out of the curry business into the courier business as investors fleeing instability in Syria and Iraq move in with kebab and shawarma restaurants.

I'm not seeing that many Asians doing courier work, it mostly seems to be white British, black British, white Eastern Europeans, or white-ish random foreign nationalities. The Asians and the Africans generally drive minicabs not vans.
You hardly ever see an Oriental Asian doing ANY driving job, nor any manual labour work for that matter.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm not seeing that many Asians doing courier work, it mostly seems to be white British, black British, white Eastern Europeans, or white-ish random foreign nationalities. The Asians and the Africans generally drive minicabs not vans.
You hardly ever see an Oriental Asian doing ANY driving job, nor any manual labour work for that matter.

Heres a sterotype, of course we all know many asians are super fit etc but ...... :smile:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
The parcel with the bike has been thrown, tossed, slid across the ground, stacked wrongly put at the bottom of pile and maybe stood on like every other Parcel sent via a large scale courier using a hub system.

This will be exactly the same for the bike at a local LBS. The bike normally reciive their bikes via a courier if they order 5-10 bikes I would guess they will arrive by pallet stacked right but buying 1-5 I bet they come form one of the big 5 couriers and have been treated as above.

If you hadn't seen it, it wouldn't cross your mind how its been treated.

To the OP just quote your Consumer Rights - Say you are not happy with the product ask for a full refund. Or See if it has been damaged. Tut Tut @User and @vickster saying what bike.... As part of my business is online retailing can I can tell you the Courier with have a geocode location for the time and date that their driver was at that the address at the time the driver logged successful delivery sometimes with an image. The courier company will legally challenge the OP and have a security interview with the driver taking a full statement.

Anyway....

View: https://youtu.be/jF_w7uSnOj0

vickster

Legendary Member
@Andrew_P Why is it wrong to ask what bike? I was simply going to suggest buying elsewhere if indeed it is available elsewhere...preferably from a local shop with no need for couriers to deliver without being ab,e to check the bike and have local aftersakes if needed. There's no way I'd accept that specific bike, except maybe for 50% off if only cosmetic issues

Andrew_P

In between here and there
@Andrew_P Why is it wrong to ask what bike? I was simply going to suggest buying elsewhere if indeed it is available elsewhere...preferably from a local shop with no need for couriers to deliver without being ab,e to check the bike and have local aftersakes if needed. There's no way I'd accept that specific bike, except maybe for 50% off if only cosmetic issues
I was assuming what bike as in not delivered.. I I was wrong I apologise.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
1 - We demand 24 hour delivery by courier then whine about the roads being choked with white vans, many of which are actually running around mostly empty.

2 - As a consequence couriers are expected to make 45 drops a day so it's no surprise they drop and run or chuck stuff in gardens. I've been that delivery driver and the stress to get your drops done is unbelievable, especially on days of heavy traffic or when you are wasting time trying to rouse the dozy consignee. Your courier is not some lovable 1930s Postman Pat character, he's a bloke with a driving licence.

Naturally people want stuff delivered fast and cheap and at some point that means cutting the quality of the service. Isn't the only way to stop this to complain when the service falls below the minimum acceptable? If people complained every time a courier chucked something over a fence without even ringing the doorbell then surely the courier companies would re-balance their service to be a bit more expensive and a bit less crap?

4 - Next the bike will need a service or repair and the OP will have to find a bike shop prepared to spend time doing an un-economical repair to a bike that they didn't sell. This and customers who buy parts on the web then expect the LBS to fit them, is what is killing the owner of a shop I know in Ramsbottom; he can't support his family and is looking for another job.

Maybe this is naive but why can't they just charge more to match what they would have made from supplying the part themselves? It doesn't seem like this would be hard to explain to the customer since it should not be surprising that they make some of their profit from the parts.

Cycling seems really odd in that there is often such a huge price disparity between physical shops and online ones. In other spheres is is common for the prices in real shops to be equal or even better than internet prices but for cycling the online shops are often 50% cheaper. A while ago I wanted some replacement mudguards and since I was at the LBS and was feeling charitable I asked them to order me some. I had had good luck with SKS longboards so I wanted those specifically. After a week or two of delays I asked him to cancel and bought them on the internet. They were literally half the price and were delivered to my door in a couple of days.

I don't know what markup they charge but I feel that they could have ordered them on CRC themselves and passed them on to me at a healthy markup while still being quicker and cheaper than what they were going to charge since I wasn't asking for fitting. What the hell is up with their suppliers? Under such a bonkers system it seems like it would be a win for both buyer and shop for the buyer to bring in their own parts and have them fitted at an hourly rate that can support the shop.

There's a simple answer: find a good independent local bike shop, support it, get to know the owner and staff, take them biscuits, test-ride their bikes then buy from them. Most retailers will give 10% to 12.5% discount and will of course sell you old models even cheaper and you will get the full after-sales service and quick adjustments free of charge from then on.

LBS's can be fantastic but it depends a lot on what you have near you and even on who is currently manning the shop. When I lived in London I had Muswell Hill Bikes who are great, though it kind of depended on the owner being in. When I was first looking to buy a bike as an adult I first went to Evans with my ID and £50 deposit for test rides. I was turned away as I only had one form of ID and needed two. I just wanted to borrow a cheap hybrid, not a bloody Faberge egg.

I went to Muswell Hill Bikes and they didn't ask for a deposit or even ID. A couple of years later I needed to buy a chain tool there but they had run out. Since the part time mechanic wasn't in, the owner handed me their very expensive and only workshop chain tool and asked me to bring it back in a few hours! This was on the basis of having bought a £300 bicycle from them. Having that kind of relationship is fantastic but you need to be pretty lucky to live near a shop like that.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

That's a relief. The earlier poster had me worried if swathes of Indians were genuinely leaving the curry trade

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To the op, and indeed others above, if the bike was in a cardboard box I'd be very suprised if it had sustained any damage whatsover

Globalti

Legendary Member
The more I think about it the more I realise that the couriers must be clogging up the roads. If you attempt 45 drops a day and 15 are frustrated, that's 15 or more times a van has to drive those stretches of road before everything from the original load gets delivered. Shockingly inefficient compared to one vehicle stopping in a street and a postman walking to a couple of dozen addresses.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
A tough industry indeed. I had some chicken food for delivery last week. ‘Scheduled for delivery between 0945 and 1045.’ Arrived 15 minutes early but couldn’t give it to me until his handset unlocked the signatory screen at my specified time. Poor fellow. So we just sat about and chatted while Old Man advanced forward.

Due to the nature of my work (domestic gardener) I sign for clients’ parcels all the time and on the whole couriers are a nice bunch.

Top Bottom