Covid jab......anyone had a reaction ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
85 year old MIL, top of the at risk list, no issues with the vaccination. Mum and Dad, mid 70's nothing - possibly slightly sore arm. I had a slight ache from the flu jab. SIL has had both Covid's, no issues.

Common for soreness as the fluid does damage tissue slightly. You can apparently feel a little rough after the second.

Testosterone injections, oh my word, 5 days of limping after them, then 9 days walking OK, before the next one was due. I stopped after a potatoe sized bruised lump appeared. Stuck to gel since.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Had my first jab on December 9th (care home worker), painless experience for the actual jab. Tried to keep my arm moving during the day and felt no after effects at all until near bed time (jab was done about 9.30 am). It wasn't sore as such, just stiffened up a bit and was uncomfortable at the jab site on my arm. Slightly painful to lie on, so I slept on my other side! It was fine by the next morning and no other after effects.

PS... Was supposed to go for second jab (Pfizer) on 6th January but of course politicians took over and that was cancelled. Still no news regarding when we will get jab number 2 :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My mother and my partners parents have all had it with no reaction. partners medical student son had a little bit of flu like symptoms for a couple of days, nothing major.

D

Deleted member 26715

Is that down to the skill of the injector?
I believe so, many years ago I had a motorcycle accident, over the next 2 days I was given 8 units of blood, I was also tested 3 times a day for about 4 days, then daily for 3 weeks, there were 3 phlebotomists (known as Vampires) 1 was excellent never hurt, 1 was good didn't hurt 70% of the time, the 3rd was horrific, she was new, but she made it hurt every time. I spoke to the excellent one about her, she explained it's down to the angle of the needle, if they follow the needle exactly as it goes in then there's no/little pain/bruising, if they push at an angle when the needle wants to go in a slightly different angle then pain/bruising occurs. I have no idea if it's true but it does seem plausible or at least it did & does to me,

Friend of mine had one - she's NHS and felt a bit fluey for a few days. She's young and incredibly fit.
My mum and MIL have both had it and no adverse effects at all.

I had my first ever flu jab last year and no effects on me.

GM

Legendary Member
I had mine 10 days ago, arm a little bit sore for a couple of hours. Three days after I was feeling more tired that usual, had to have a lie on the sofa mid afternoon. Apart from that no problems.

tom73

Guru
A sore arm is a common side effect of all vaccinations. What causes it? Is it just localised bruising from the needle entering?
I have a flu jab every year and usually get a sore arm for a day or two. The last two years though, nor sore at all. Is that down to the skill of the injector?
(I realise most on here are not medically qualified!)

In short Yes if prone to bruising even than you mostly well still get some bruising.
However peeing them before hand is never a good idea.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Testosterone injections, oh my word, 5 days of limping after them
I thought Testosterone was supposed to have the opposite effect!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I believe so, many years ago I had a motorcycle accident, over the next 2 days I was given 8 units of blood, I was also tested 3 times a day for about 4 days, then daily for 3 weeks, there were 3 phlebotomists (known as Vampires) 1 was excellent never hurt, 1 was good didn't hurt 70% of the time, the 3rd was horrific, she was new, but she made it hurt every time. I spoke to the excellent one about her, she explained it's down to the angle of the needle, if they follow the needle exactly as it goes in then there's no/little pain/bruising, if they push at an angle when the needle wants to go in a slightly different angle then pain/bruising occurs. I have no idea if it's true but it does seem plausible or at least it did & does to me,

Doctors aren't good at administering injections. I have to have blood taken from an artery in my wrist due to low oxygen sats (70's) after an accident. My word it was a good job I was as high as a kite on morphine. Two attempts in each wrist by an apologetic doctor. He apologised again and said we've got to do it, I'll get someone else. Got a senior nurse who did it painlessly. 5 goes ! :wacko:

lejogger

Guru
NHS worker. Oxford AZ first dose administered. No reaction for first 12 hours.

Woke at 2am with the shivers, and proceeded to have a very uncomfortable night with fever (managed by paracetamol/ibuprofen).
Felt grotty for the following day.
Arm soreness got progressively worse for days 1-3. This seems to be fairly common, and different to a reaction to say, the flu jab.

The wife had the Pfizer vaccine and had no side effects

Interestingly, we both had Covid-19 in March/April 2020 and had very similar symptoms (Lethargy, flu-type symptoms, loss of taste/smell, slight cough), although I had a night of fever that she didn't have then either.

Colleagues have reported a wide variety of responses, from sickness lasting a couple of days to no reaction at all. Like the live virus, there doesn't seem to be any clear understanding of whether there will be any symptoms at all, or how severe they will be.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Dave7 I haven't had any noticeable reaction to my flu jabs in the last 3 or 4 years, so as and when I'm offered my C Jab, it'll be similar, hopefully.
Pain seems to have pretty well gone now. Whether that's the Nurofen or not I don't know.
I stress to everyone waiting that it wasn't bad and will not put me off the 2nd one.

Top Bottom