Covid Panic Buying 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am just back from Herefordshire. Loads of Cider apple trees will go unpicked. Heineken are paying off farmers to not supply apples. They gave them 25 year contracts to supply cider apples (referred to as vintage) they are making them offers they can't refuse to get out of the contracts. Orchards being grubbed up because there excess production. Replacing them with raspberrys but mainly maize (far to hard to eat) which goes to a bio digester.
Two theory's insufficient demand or buying concentrates from Poland
Could of course be a bit of both.
Got a similar story of woe when I visited the Apple County Cider farm near Monmouth a few weeks ago. I think they said Bulmers are trying to default on their contract to buy the apple harvest there! :sad:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Got a similar story of woe when I visited the Apple County Cider farm near Monmouth a few weeks ago. I think they said Bulmers are trying to default on their contract to buy the apple harvest there! :sad:
Why? Is nobody drinking the stuff any more?

as an aside, there was no bog roll in Waitrose this afternoon so it’s obviously afflicting everyone. ^_^

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Only this wonderful manly,British product left in Tesco tonight.;)

1601332456976.png

Obviously the 'snowflakes' fear using the stuff!:rolleyes: :whistle:

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Bogroll aisle in Waitrose looking pretty sorry for itself earlier this evening :rolleyes:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Just a thought,do they sell 'economy' bog roll in Waitrose?🤔
I don't think they sell any currently :tongue:

Just goes to show that f*ckwittery apparently transcends boundaries of class :laugh:

irw

Quadricyclist
Mrs D has made a valid point. If the loo roll runs out we can improvise with the daily mail. With any luck you'll get to wipe your arriss on Piers Morgan's face.
Keep up at the back there... @Paulus suggested that in post 31!

Of course, having just spent four months renovating our bathroom, I'm going to sit here and smugly say I've designed it such that a bidet can now be accomodated, and have pre-installed the neccesary plumbing should it be required... ;)

Yes but every farmer i spoke to said they were making them offers they couldn't refuse. They were not refusing to buy the apples they were just offering very very good money to get out of the contracts. They could sell there apples to someone else, if they could find someone else. I would say it appears the smaller so called artisan cider firms seem to be doing very well. And cheap if having a 20 litres bag in the box delivered.
Gwatkins, Dunkertons (him of superdry fame) etc seem to be doing fine via the Internet. But I think they will have to remain small to stay in business.
Look at this loons cider and Perry offer. https://www.lilleyscider.co.uk/20lbaginbox-c102x3096506
Not tried them yet.
Not sure why these are making it so hard https://www.bristolcidershop.co.uk/product.php?product=59
The Devon Red is supposed to be a session cider ....toooo easy drinking
https://www.sandfordorchards.co.uk/

And then we have this firm selling 185 different ciders/Perrys in 20 litre boxs.
https://fetchthedrinks.com/shop/?sw...tre#038;pa_product-type=bag-in-a-box-20-litre
Okay some aren't really ciders or Perry. As they have added other fruit but all the same it is going to take me along time to try all the real ones!!
Hopefully I will remember which ones I like!!!

Not a single toilet roll left in Tesco (Ely) when I went on Saturday night.

I got a till voucher.

For toilet roll. :wacko:

Also, no rice, paracetamol, bread flour, antibac wipes and very little cooking oil or pasta. Of the latter, all that was left was the stuff that's been on clearance like since forever. East Cambs has the fourth lowest infection rate in the country, so go figure... :scratch:

My cupboards are always well-stocked as I live right out in the boonies and it's kind of pointless to go out for just a couple of items. But now they're stocked up much better, because it's a pain not being able to replace what you've used when availability goes shonky. Plus there's making sure there's enough in the house just in case I have to self-isolate.

I've spent the summer availing myself of various clearance offers on the "weird brands" that they had in earlier in the year. People out here tend to be wary of brands and ingredients they're unfamiliar with, but things like canned pulses, canned tomatoes, rice and pasta are all pretty much of a muchness. I've not bought anything I'd not ordinarily use, so none of it will go to waste.

The furry girls are also very well catered for, as I've been availing myself of some very good offers on Sheba and Felix AGAIL, plus I'd just done a Zooplus re-order for the usual 10kg sack of Royal Canin Sensible 33 and 25kg of Benek Corn litter.

Top Bottom