COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
That was all extremely complicated but I've managed to get booked for tomorrow evening (otherwise I was either going to have to move the op or wait until May)

My wife had to do the same, she had an op scheduled for May and needed her 2nd jab, the surgery that's handling the jab wasn't impressed she called to arrange it, as it say on a pre-recorded message don't call regarding this we will contact you.

JBGooner

Über Member
It also looks like the recent rows with the EU have introduced some protectionism. Filling was going to be in the EU, but will now be in the North East.

Good move. AIUI some of the OAZ vaccine produced in the UK is filled and packaged in the EU, which the EU counts as their exports when returned to the UK, so will be liable for this export ban they are boasting about.

vickster

Legendary Member
My wife had to do the same, she had an op scheduled for May and needed her 2nd jab, the surgery that's handling the jab wasn't impressed she called to arrange it, as it say on a pre-recorded message don't call regarding this we will contact you.
The message I got specifically asked me to call the GP surgery with their number (just took ages to get through as probably every 40-49 year old on the list was trying to get through!)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Why is that protectionism?
GSK's plant at Barnard Castle would have been used in the Sanofi (Translate Bio)/GSK vaccine production (from the French plant outside Lyon) but that candidate vaccine performed poorly and whether it gets further is in doubt. Great that GSK have made sure that their resources are effectively mobilised to produce a vaccine (Novovax) the efficacy of which has been proven in RCTs.
This time last year GSK (plants in Barnard Castle and elsewhere) was a potential partner for Oxford University (Merck the front runner till April but that foundered).
Whilst strictly protectionism is applying tariffs or other means to restrict economic damage by imports from foreign industry, in this instance the allocation of resources by GSK has prevented potential damage by guaranteeing manufacture and fill and finishing is all conducted in the UK and that the UK is not a potential hostage in any part of the process. I would be surprised if the recent spats with the EU have done nothing but engender distrust about where any part of the vaccine process takes place and concentrated minds further about putting the citizens of UK PLC first.
As to what was going to happen at the plant, certainly there seem to be mixed messages. From the reports I have read, it was anticipated that only manufacture would take place in the UK, with fill and finish being undertaken within the EU.

I have a colleague from eastern europe, with family in Italy, Germany, Romania, and err ... Wiltshire.
He regularly gets irate about the amount of anti-vax madness on Facebook from back home. Now he is angry that the EU is demanding more vaccine doses when their citizens are so unwilling to get jabbed <compared to UK>, and the government don't seem to be in a hurry to do the jabs.

Johnno260

Veteran
The message I got specifically asked me to call the GP surgery with their number (just took ages to get through as probably every 40-49 year old on the list was trying to get through!)

ah ok different circumstances, like you said everyone on the list was no doubt hitting :boxing: the phone line hard! haha least you got through :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Question for those who have the first, possibly both, jabs.
Has the fact you've had one jab changed the way you feel what you're allowed to do?

Asked because there seems to be more people who have made holiday plans for the 12th of April. Some have changed the way in which they feel they need to act.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Question for those who have the first, possibly both, jabs.
Has the fact you've had one jab changed the way you feel what you're allowed to do?

Asked because there seems to be more people who have made holiday plans for the 12th of April. Some have changed the way in which they feel they need to act.
1 jab here for myself and Mrs B. The only thing which has changed is that once a week, weather permitting, Mrs B now goes for walks of a couple of miles or so with two of her closest friends. But no indoors meeting. They held off until three had been vaccinated.
Holiday plans have been made for the end of May, when I was expecting to be in Egypt. - A cottage in a sparsely populated part of Scotland. It will just be the two of us and was deliberately booked for after both of us will have had both jabs.

Top Bottom