COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Has the fact you've had one jab changed the way you feel what you're allowed to do?
I certainly feel safer at work. We are supposed to stay at the front of the classroom behind a line that is 2m away from the front row of pupils. Sometimes it is not possible to stick to this eg when a pupil fainted and I had to assist. I now feel less worried for my own safety

C R

Guru
@classic33

I've had one dose, AZ about a month ago, but haven't really changed my behaviour. Still feel wary around people I don't know.

midlife

Guru
Everyone around me has been vaccinated as have most people who come into the building. Nothing has changed, same precautions, same PPE, same distancing. Nothing changed at home either. Just feel happier that if I do catch it the chances of ending up in hospital are way less.

Everyone around me has been vaccinated as have most people who come into the building. Nothing has changed, same precautions, same PPE, same distancing. Nothing changed at home either. Just feel happier that if I do catch it the chances of ending up in hospital are way less.
Very much the same here. My Mum. Father in law, wife and most of the people I work with have had it, so I feel much happier that the impact of someone in my family circle catches the lurgy it will have a reduced impact.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Still socially distancing here. MrsF's sisters came round to discuss 'family' issues yesterday, but they were in the garden - all of us jabbed though.

I am seeing more and more people not socially distancing, or like yesterday, woman in the post office next to me, no mask - possibly in her 30's but it would have messed up the tonne of make up and I don't think her daffy duck lips would have fitted in the mask. There was me all masked up.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
I shall be out cycling in our Wednesday Ride to the Pub (up to 6 of us) today for the first time since October. Only the destination will be a private garden for this week and next; and then to external tables of local pubs various. In the south west there are about 200 cases reported daily, in a population of >5M. In Devon it's 2 cases per 100,000 people: higher (as much as 8!!) towns/cities (Plymouth, Bristol, Poole-Bournemouth). The fact that I have had my first jab may affect my decision as to how soon (after 12 April) next month I go to visit my (SW-based) nonogenarian mother (who had had both doses by early January).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
woman in the post office next to me
Wow, you live in a land of giant post offices that allow more than one person inside them(!) ;)

Some stuff in local news here in Norfolk this morning that people are not showing up for their second jabs and it's suspected that people are foolishly thinking that one is protective enough for them, or that they fear worse side-effects from the second after having mild side-effects the first time. Doctor interviewed on the news stressing the importance of completing the vaccination for the best and longest protection possible. I can't see this reported online yet, though, with it only appearing in interviews about other topics like "I would also like to take this opportunity to remind people that are due to have their second dose to make sure they attend their appointment."

Question for those who have the first, possibly both, jabs.Has the fact you've had one jab changed the way you feel what you're allowed to do?
Asked because there seems to be more people who have made holiday plans for the 12th of April. Some have changed the way in which they feel they need to act.
been eyeballing the guys in the office who have been fully vaccinated being less diligent w/ their masks w/ disdain. however now that I'm scheduled for jab#1 I worry about my own behavior

Ajax Bay

Guru
This vaccine thing is becoming worrying. Countries don't stop vaccination to inconvenience people but have an obvious concern for them. I think the compliant press in this country are making us look stupid. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us but I'm not certain it won't.
Dragged this across. Paul - not quite sure what the 'vaccine thing' is. Are you referring to yesterday's German decision with regard to confining Ox-AZ vaccine use to over 60s? Not sure what you mean by a 'compliant press'. WHO, EMA and UK MRHA all say that there are no safety concerns. Do you think the UK press should make some up? How will "we" be made to "look stupid"? What do you think will "come back and bite us"? The threats to an individual from catching COVID-19 are far greater than any chance of an adverse reaction to vaccination.
Is the linkage of these adverse events after vaccination relying on the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy?
I think @vickster has already pointed out that some contraceptive medications increase the very very low chance of these thromboses(CVT) by 200%. I note that the post-vaccination adverse reaction reports are (6/7) in younger (than 50?) women.
Update: "The Paul Ehrlich Institute said a total of 31 sinus vein thrombosis (SVT) events were reported by March 29 out of some 2.7M doses of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine that have been administered across Germany. Nine of the people died and all but two of the cases involved women, who were aged 20 to 63."
BMJ: The condition [CVT] is about three times as common in women [of child-bearing age].
ETA: Add in overweight (BMI >25 so not fat at all) and taking the pill and the chance of condition increases about 11 times! Ref link and 29 times more if woman is obese (BMI > 30).
The International Study on Cerebral Vein and Dural Sinus Thrombosis8 found that up to 85% of adult patients have at least one risk factor; the most common was use of oral contraceptives, followed by a prothrombotic condition (more often genetic than acquired).
Do you recommend that women stop taking the pill? Do you think there's the remotest chance of Germany suggesting that to their 16-50 female cohort? Germany is nowhere near vaccinating under 60s (except for health workers or CEV perhaps) so this recent restriction will not affect the vaccine programme logistically for a month (by which time they'll have had time to do more 'investigation'). But it does risk increasing vaccine hesitancy more generally, to the detriment of the wider population's protection, as well as each individual. @Unkraut may have a perspective.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Teenagers
Pfizer/BioNTech have said today (31 Mar) that their COVID-19 vaccine was safe and effective and produced robust antibody responses in an RCT trial of 12- to 15-year olds (it's already authorized for use in people over 16). In the trial of 2260 aged 12 to 15, there were 18 cases of symptomatic COVID-19 in the group that got a placebo jab and zero in the group that got the vaccine: =100% efficacy in preventing COVID-19 (press release).

Teenagers
Pfizer/BioNTech have said today (31 Mar) that their COVID-19 vaccine was safe and effective and produced robust antibody responses in an RCT trial of 12- to 15-year olds (it's already authorized for use in people over 16). In the trial of 2260 aged 12 to 15, there were 18 cases of symptomatic COVID-19 in the group that got a placebo jab and zero in the group that got the vaccine: =100% efficacy in preventing COVID-19 (press release).
I don't mean to drag discussion off-topic, but how on earth do you setup a study on 12-15 year olds (with a possibly fatal disease)?!?

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't mean to drag discussion off-topic, but how on earth do you setup a study on 12-15 year olds (with a possibly fatal disease)?!?
The same way you do any clinical trial for any drug or vaccine used in adolescents :scratch:
Covid is known to be far less fatal in children, but they are carriers and transmitters to vulnerable populations so protecting the little plague carriers is indeed a spiffing idea!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Same as the adult study.

Get a few thousand teenagers.

Give half active and half placebo vaccines.

See how many test positive for COVID over the next few months.

Check how many of those were on active and how many on placebo.

Top Bottom