COVID Vaccine !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Ajax Bay

Guru
in order to make themselves look dependable and keep the prices up.
The AZ CEO is a politician. Just not elected by the public.
The Oxford-AZ vaccine is being supplied 'at cost'. "Keeping the prices up?" Do keep up.

Pascal Soriot has been the chief executive of AstraZeneca since 2012. He is a trained vet. His pay of £9.4m in salary and bonuses made him "the lowest-paid CEO in the whole industry", he said (in 2018). "It is annoying to some extent. But at the end of the day it is what it is."

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
AZ are supplying on a no profit basis. Prices are a fraction of eg Pfizer.
I have worked in non profit organisations. It is an accounting trick to some extent. You just pay your Chiefs more and don't give them profit-related pay and hey presto, non profit.

Also, I think AZ have been clear that different countries are paying different amounts and reportedly, the US is paying $4/shot while COVAX and Bangladesh have been reported at $3/shot. There may be differences such as transport that explain some of the difference, but I am sure you know that there are different ways of allocating costs.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have worked in non profit organisations. It is an accounting trick to some extent. You just pay your Chiefs more and don't give them profit-related pay and hey presto, non profit.

Also, I think AZ have been clear that different countries are paying different amounts and reportedly, the US is paying $4/shot while COVAX and Bangladesh have been reported at $3/shot. There may be differences such as transport that explain some of the difference, but I am sure you know that there are different ways of allocating costs.

Medicines, and other products, have always had different prices in different countries. Price is partly determined by what the market will bear. When I worked in Ukraine, in 1990's many Western branded products, including medicines when available at a fraction of their price in the UK.

mjr

The Oxford-AZ vaccine is being supplied 'at cost'. "Keeping the prices up?" Do keep up.
If you don't know what that conceals, I have a container load of PPE that you might like to buy. At cost. (including my salary)

Pascal Claude Roland Soriot has been the chief executive of AstraZeneca since 2012. He is a trained vet. His pay of £9.4m in salary and bonuses made him "the lowest-paid CEO in the whole industry", he said (in 2018). "It is annoying to some extent. But at the end of the day it is what it is."
So? Does being a vet or a CEO mean they are not a politician? Did the former CEO of The Trump Organization never hold political office?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Quibbling over details. To suggest that this is somehow driven by profiteering is absurd, given the prices charged by Pfizer and Moderna.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...identally-tweets-eus-covid-vaccine-price-list

Accounting trick? Be serious.

It is clear that the EU was slow to act in ordering the vaccines. Whether this was due to its bureaucratic nature and the decision to act as a whole rather than allow its members to act individually, as it did with the various lockdown regimes is something that could well be a factor. There is an element, now that criticism of the slowness of the vaccination programme is starting to come from its members, of the EU leaders wanting to deflect that criticism, and the UK is now a convenient target.

It is possible that, just for once in this pandemic, the UK approach on this issue has been quite successful, but sadly I feel we are now starting to see a continuation of the "UK bad...EU good" narrative on this forum. :sad:

mjr

Quibbling over details. To suggest that this is somehow driven by profiteering is absurd, given the prices charged by Pfizer and Moderna.
I didn't suggest it was profiteering. I suggested AZ probably listed UK manufacturing sites in their EU contract to make it look more attractive.

That price list is interesting, as it suggests the EU is paying AZ €1.78/shot, a little over half of the US's €3.30/shot. It also disagrees with other reports of €2.50/shot such as https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...azeneca-vaccine-from-indias-sii-idUSKBN29Q0JL - Has it been reported how much the UK is paying?

Do we think the per-shot price difference has anything to do with the delivery priority?

Accounting trick? Be serious.
How many non-profits have you worked for? Directed? Owned part of? It is relatively easy to avoid making profit if you want to, and much more difficult to make a business behave in an ethical and socially-responsible manner.

mjr

[...] EU leaders wanting to deflect that criticism, and the UK is now a convenient target.
They mostly seem to be criticising AZ not the UK, so how do you arrive at that conclusion?

It is possible that, just for once in this pandemic, the UK approach on this issue has been quite successful, but sadly I feel we are now starting to see a continuation of the "UK bad...EU good" narrative on this forum. :sad:
Funny how that accusation always comes on the end of a post hurling unjustified accusations of Help! Help! EU're oppressing me!

It is indeed possible that the UK approach on vaccination has been quite successful, but only time will tell - and it won't bring back all the people dead from the other fark ups.

They mostly seem to be criticising AZ not the UK, so how do you arrive at that conclusion?

Funny how that accusation always comes on the end of a post hurling unjustified accusations of Help! Help! EU're oppressing me!

It is indeed possible that the UK approach on vaccination has been quite successful, but only time will tell - and it won't bring back all the people dead from the other fark ups.

From reading articles in the press and on internet news reports, and, before you ask, no, I have no intention of trawling back through them to justify my statement. You are more than capable of doing that yourself.

Only time will tell is indeed true, it usually is.

Top Bottom