Cow muck in cycle lane dropped by farmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I saw it this morning on my way to work. Fortunately i was driving so i didn't have to cycle through it. A stretch of a cycle lane that's on one of my favourite routes is covered in thick cow muck. It startes at one gate/entrance to a field and ends at another, about a mile long. There's no way that a bike could move safely along that stretch of road, all because farmer boy couldn't be bothered to clean up after himself. He's done this in the past, but not to such an extent.:angry:
Is he supposed to clean this mess up, and if so who do i contact?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would guess the local highways agency or your local council.

Sandra6

Veteran
Farmers never clean up their messes do they??
Plenty of roads around here are covered in all manner of poo dropped by farmers and spread about by their tractors, I've never heard of any of it being cleaned up.

compo

Veteran
He's a farmer. You have no chance unless he kills someone. They are like the pikies round here, untouchable.

byegad

Legendary Member
We've had this for months, the farmers seem to do nothing but cart poo around! Next it will be Hawthorn caltrops scattered all over the roads. Then they complain when someone parks in their field entrances.

sidevalve

Über Member
Puts things into perspective a bit, a pile of dog poop the size of a walnut and it's a hanging offence but 50kg of slimy slurry all over the road, a danger to cyclists, m/cyclists and even cars on a bend and nobody says a word.

Drago

Legendary Member
Blimey, it's groundhog day! It's an offence to deposit anything on or above a highway that could endanger a user of that highway. Ive visited a couple of farmers over the years to read them their tea leaves over this.

Reactions: gaz

Peowpeowpeowlasers

You need to phone either your local council or the highways agency, depending on who maintains the road. Farmers aren't allowed to leave shoot all over the road, although some leeway is required as moving shoot around is part of their job.

Herbie

Veteran
I saw it this morning on my way to work. Fortunately i was driving so i didn't have to cycle through it. A stretch of a cycle lane that's on one of my favourite routes is covered in thick cow muck. It startes at one gate/entrance to a field and ends at another, about a mile long. There's no way that a bike could move safely along that stretch of road, all because farmer boy couldn't be bothered to clean up after himself. He's done this in the past, but not to such an extent.:angry:
Is he supposed to clean this mess up, and if so who do i contact?

I find this kinda thing farmers do very objectionable too.It happens a lot where i live.I wonder why they get off with it...I'm sure if any one of us joe public chaps dumped shoot and mud on to public roads we'd get reprimanded and rightly so...it stinks

sgtjiggy

I live in a city with an enormous beef processing plant; we also have several feed lots around town. On just about every curve on every major highway coming into town there is a dried or wet trail of cow s**t! Bicycle and motorcyclist have to be extremely careful. We call the trailers used to haul cattle "bull racks". It its also illegal for them to allow for the s**t to hit the road surface. It its usually caused when the the traps are over flowing or the truck driver leaves them open intentionally so he doesn't have to clean them out after delivering his cargo. I hate it. Its disgusting and unsanitary. I don't mind writing tickets for this offense.

nathanicola

Dont tar all farmers with the same brush though, i am one myself and i hate it when i leave mud on the road, i cycle too so i know all about it, my house is in the village and i hate it when there is a trail of mud past my gate but i know that sometimes it cant be avoided. You cant stand in a gate to a field pressure washing tyres as the trailers come out it would make the situation worse. In a few weeks the maize will be harvested, thousands of tons in two days the village roads will be covered in flicks of mud and sprinkled with chopped maize nobody complains because they have lived with it for ever, i'm not an arrogant ba**ard i hate it when it happens but sometimes its unavoidable.We allways put mud on road signs up and yes i do scraped big lumps up with a shovel. The comment about calling the police or council, when they arrive they just say make sure you got signs up and scrape the road up at the end of the day.

Top Bottom