Cracked Condor Fratello steel frame - Excellent response from Condor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You may need to take it back to the shop you got it from.

I had a Ridgeback frame go on the weld of the seattube to the BB. I took it back to the shop and they sorted it out, including stripping off all my components and putting them onto the new frame that was supplied under warranty.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
You may need to take it back to the shop you got it from.

I had a Ridgeback frame go on the weld of the seattube to the BB. I took it back to the shop and they sorted it out, including stripping off all my components and putting them onto the new frame that was supplied under warranty.

Will do foss, my mind is made up this one and I do a good bloody minded argument when it's called for

Touche, it's Condor, as far as I know it's the one shop that effectively makes their own bikes using frames made for them in Italy

I'm hoping to get down there for about 10.30 tomorrow, here's to a quick and cheerful resolution as I have to be at Stanstead for 2pm (by car) and I suspect moving a bike I can't ride all the way to WC1 from E4 is going to test my patience, fingers crossed they want to keep it so I don't have to test my patience again taking it all the way home again

P.H

Über Member
Good luck tomorrow.

If no joy the Small Claims Court is as good a place as any to take it to.  Simple and cheap to do yourself.

The legislation is all about reasonable expectation,  in the end someone will have to decide whether your expectation that it should last longer is reasonable or not, no need for experts or solicitors.  I've been to the small claims court twice, on both sides, won one lost one, both times satisfied by the way it was handled. 

Fratello framesets are £550, so frame only around £470.  Repair and respray from my local framebuilder would be £300ish.   

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Thanks PH, especially for the frame price, is your local framebuilder up north where everything is cheap or down here where it isn't?

I was about to post that I didn;t mind chipping in towards a new frame but ven if they agree tomorrow to change the frame that'll be six odd weeks if ordered from Italy, that's going to be best part of £250 in train fare to work, and that's with a lot of walking from Liverpool Street to London Bridge

anyway, let's see

joggingbob

Tynan, good luck with the meeting tomorrow. (fellow Fratello owner, and yes your post made me check my frame where your frame had cracked). Surely they will see sense !

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Tynan, good luck with the meeting tomorrow. (fellow Fratello owner, and yes your post made me check my frame where your frame had cracked). Surely they will see sense !

thank-you bob, it's a crying shame because it's been a beauty of a bike for me until now, I dearly hope they replace it with some apologetic noises and this doesn't spoil the brand/bike for me

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
It would be nice if they lent you a demo bike for the Dun Run...

yes it would, something top end with all the trimmings

that's rather in excess of my expectations though

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
+ 1 - and for fellow Fratello owner. :biggrin:

I think Condor will handle it properly - they have too much to lose otherwise.

** goes out to check his frame :blush: (only 1 yr old)

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
+ 1 - and for fellow Fratello owner. :biggrin:

I think Condor will handle it properly - they have too much to lose otherwise.

** goes out to check his frame :blush: (only 1 yr old)

kids to school and then train to Liverpool Street and then walk to Condor from there, 1.6 odd miles, I'm hoping that's not shortly to be followed by walking back to Liverpool Street with it

and that i resist the temptation to ride it 'gently'

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
kids to school and then train to Liverpool Street and then walk to Condor from there, 1.6 odd miles, I'm hoping that's not shortly to be followed by walking back to Liverpool Street with it

and that i resist the temptation to ride it 'gently'

Hope you get this sorted out. I've not had chance to read the entire thread but I'd go down the 'not fit for purpose' route. Good luck today!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Frame failure of this nature wouldn't put people off a brand, this sort of thing happens." 

You think?

£800 frame self-destructs inside two years, company's response: 'shoot happens' - and you think that won't put people off? I tell you what, I for one would never buy a Condor having seen those pics & this thread. If Condor have an ounce of PR awareness, they'll do the decent thing. There may only be 1000 people hanging around these boards, but they all have cycling mates, and you know how people like to talk...

Good luck Tynan. By rights, you should get a brand new frame of equivalent stature and a Big Apology for letting you down (and even potentially putting your life at risk).

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Hello all

Points failure at Bethnal Green so I had to hoof it all the way from there with some extra slightly lost in the Bethnal Green area, so I got there late and rather tetchy

The delightful Belinda was delightful and tutted tutted the crack, asked for my proof of purchase, then looked please with the print out of my post on here when I'd ordered in it in Feb 2008 (thanks for that admin)

Right off she said they'd had some bad frames in a batch at that time, something to do with shims, as some on here speculated on

It's to go to the techy types in Bermondsey to be confirmed but it shold be fine and if all goes well they might have a new frame all built up by Friday

I artfully mentioned the Dunwich Dynamo on the 24th, I was invited to inspect the three new colours, grey and a rather dashing orange and a very stylish plum

All in all it couldn't have gone much better, getting it all back n time for the DD would be triff

mistral

Guru
Hello all

Points failure at Bethnal Green so I had to hoof it all the way from there with some extra slightly lost in the Bethnal Green area, so I got there late and rather tetchy

The delightful Belinda was delightful and tutted tutted the crack, asked for my proof of purchase, then looked please with the print out of my post on here when I'd ordered in it in Feb 2008 (thanks for that admin)

Right off she said they'd had some bad frames in a batch at that time, something to do with shims, as some on here speculated on

It's to go to the techy types in Bermondsey to be confirmed but it shold be fine and if all goes well they might have a new frame all built up by Friday

I artfully mentioned the Dunwich Dynamo on the 24th, I was invited to inspect the three new colours, grey and a rather dashing orange and a very stylish plum

All in all it couldn't have gone much better, getting it all back n time for the DD would be triff
Great news, I've been following this with interest.

It's a credit to Condor they have responded so positively and swiftly, that aspect is reassuring.

It would be more reassuring for me (as a Condor owner) if they can confirm what caused this failure.

Good luck for the DD

Top Bottom