Cracked Condor Fratello steel frame - Excellent response from Condor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

It's a credit to Condor they have responded so positively and swiftly, that aspect is reassuring.

Indeed. To me the most telling detail is: "Right off she said they'd had some bad frames in a batch at that time." Clearly there's no policy in place at Condor to 'avoid admitting liability' (a la insurance companies' instructions in the event of incidents). This sounds like a decent company accustomed to doing the right thing. Promising. We await news of the outcome with rapt anticipation...

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I'm sure they will, although she said problem with shims in that batch in Feb/Mar 2008, that wud seem to tally witht he instances I was starting to gather from the web

They may still tell me that's in my fault but she went as far as was prudent to say it'll be fine

My third sucessive DD so I'll be stupid and say I'll piss it, I want to do the return too which might be a bit less of a piss it

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Yes sweet pea, I was so prepped to be politely menacing that it was all I could do not to laugh with joy

when i was told they had frames in stock when I expected 4-6 weeks to get a new one in from Italy I nearly fell over, perhaps ready by Friday!

No issues building it all up, she did point at my disgraceful bar tape and say that wouldn't get done

all subject to the Bermondsey dept

thank-you bob, I'll have to post a picture at the moment that the frame is new, before i start chipping, scratching and covering it in mud and oil

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done, positive response from store, as their frames really shouldn't fail there - now't you could have done to bugger the frame at that point.

Hopefully new frame ASAP then. Fabulous !!!!

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I loved the orange although it was lighter than I'd have chosen

Plum looked very nice though, a very good steel type colour

Some of the staff in there do seem a bit offish but I have to say that the few times I've actually dealt with people in there they've been very good, the chap I originally got fitted by and ordered from was first class and Belinda today could not have been improved on

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I loved the orange although it was lighter than I'd have chosen

Plum looked very nice though, a very good steel type colour

Some of the staff in there do seem a bit offish but I have to say that the few times I've actually dealt with people in there they've been very good, the chap I originally got fitted by and ordered from was first class and Belinda today could not have been improved on

not plum mate, just say no

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
don't forget to politely ask what the warranty terms are for the new frame....

some companies reset the clock on components replaced under warranty (Spesh used to) whilst others let it run on from date of purchase of the bike and ignore the fact you are on your second frame so when that goes 18 months later they go all sloped 'out of warranty' shouldered. (Trek used to) just in case there is another 'bad batch' like. ime there used to be a lot of that about.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
yikes

thanks greg, it's hard to see beyond a new frame, especially when the old one was beyond it's warranty

hear what you say on the bad batch, oh dear

joggingbob

Generally, (not just cycle related), I thought it was common that only the original warranty period was covered i.e. if a product that was replaced under warranty then subsequenlty went wrong post when the original's product warranty perios expired then it's a case of tough luck. In one sense that seems fair, (providing they replaced it promptly and you had use of the goods).
However Condor have or appear to have been fair to Tynan in replacing with a new frame and no quibble and just outside their 2 year warranty, (assuming it is 2 years - I must admit I have not checked but I don't recall any paperwork bar the spec list when ordering the bike and the till receipt when I paid).

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
hmm, that logic would rather seem to favour sellers just replacing with further defective goods until the warranty expired

Condor have so far been first class but any honest seller should really put their hands up if the fault was down to a flaw in the original product, and a steel frame cracking after 2 and a bit years of routine use is always going to be down to a flaw of some kind barring freak occurrences I'd have thought, I was well along the route of preparing arguments for the small claims court

I was told I'd hear today and have just politely chased them up

Top Bottom