Cracked Condor Fratello steel frame - Excellent response from Condor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
They do try it though. I had a mains unit replaced under warranty by Hewlett Packard - when the replacement also packed up four months later - ie, in the 14th month after the original purchase - they said 'too bad - here's where you can buy a new one'.  (I did get another replacement eventually, by writing to the MD, but that's another story. Oh, and that one packed up 9 months later.)

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
A new frame authorised! Hurray!

An orange one in 58cm in stock and allocated to me! Hurray! (Orange to bloody well shut up MacB)

Andy in the workshop has inspected the bike and it 'needs quite a lot of work' and he's putting together 'prices and options'. Booo!

If I'm replacing the running gear and the headset and the frame what on earth is left from moving parts?

The wheels were rebuilt all of three months ago and front and rear mech new six months ago

Ah well, wait and see I guess

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Schplendid! Hats off to Condor. What's all this about Andy in the workshop...? Why aren't you building it yourself, you idle tick? Surely it's just a matter of taking all the bits off the old one & sticking them on the new one, no? Sounds like a pleasant afternoon's fettling to me...

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Nice idea sweetpea although I'd only be able to manage half of it without spending ages making sure I was doing something terrible and I don;t have the time, never mind moving a bike and a frame back home

And don't forget they'll do it for nothing, sort of

They wanted to replace the wheels, 'pitted', that were rebuilt no more than four odd months ago, sod that

Wanted to replace the cables, granted they're now all original from 2008 barring the front brake cable which is brand new, we had to argue about that because they said that had to be done as part of the rebuild, I said if so that was their problem and it shouldn't cost me, he said he'd see and perhaps they could reuse mine, all I know is the brakes and gears were all working lovely as regards pulling on things

New Campag Xenon big ring and cassette and KMC chain came in inside the BB stuff I was going to get fitted by the LBS with £40 to spare but at this point he insisted they was a £25 labour charge to fit the new running gear,despite me chanting 'but you have to fit it all from the old bike anyway', he insisted in a rather, to my ears, unconvincing way that the new gears would need setting up in a more time consuming way than the old ones, I gave way on that as I didn't want to seem an entire ingrate

Ready on Tuesday as they have a lot on, so so much for my three day break before the DunRun and return

All in all a new frame and running gear all fitted for £18.33 less than I was going to pay for the same fitted to the old bike, for anyone puzzled, I have a budget of zip for this, I even had to forbid the bar tape being changed

Plus ag and worry and seven days travel at £7.40 a day

half empty/half full I suppose but I'd have grabbed that with both hands at the weekend

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
I've ever only had the one I could barely afford some time ago, I've got two rusting at the end of the garden, one rather nice Canondale bad boy smashed to bits atfer a high speed smash into a Landrover Discovert and a cheap and cheerful Scott Atacama that I did massive miles on untill it almost utterly wore out

I can;t afford to do the bartape on this one sadly

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Edit - doh, I thought the first page was the end of the topic. Wow, good resolution from Condor, I'm very pleased for you.

I'd have loaned you my langster mate, btw.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
LOL, I'm just not riding it at the moment. It's supposedly my winter bike, the recumbent is so much more efficient I just can't face riding it with my present high weekly mileage and workload. I'm doing something like 350km per week and 15-25 hours of skating lessons. Shattered!!

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
it'll be all sorted when I've collected it and ridden at least ten miles without any problems

the orange had better be faster than the plum or there'll be trouble

Top Bottom