CTC or British Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grhm

Veteran
Not sure if this is the right section but...

I've considered joining the CTC for the legal and insurance cover they offer. However, somewhere on here I saw someone recommending British Cycling.

I've had a look at British Cycling website - but struggled to find the prices for membership. (I suspect I don't want the Gold + Racing License option for my commute and v. occassional weekend pootles). There did seem to be an "Everyday Cycling" catagory but could see prices.

Can anyone offer a simple explanation of the pro's and con's of joining both organisations?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
CTC surely, unless you're a racer and already a member of BC?

OP
OP
grhm

grhm

Veteran
Fair enough - I heard of CTC fairly quickly after joining this forum. It's only recently that I spotted someone on here saying join CTC or BC for the cover they provide - and I can't remember who or where I saw this.

Thought I'd ask to see if anyone had an opinion either way.

wafflycat

Both will provide you with £10million third party insurance and free legal help in the event of you needing to make a claim against someone or someone makes a claim against you in your everyday cycling (With BC you need 'everyday cycling', silver or gold membership for that).

Price wise. Basic adult membership

CTC £36pa
BC (silver) £35pa
BC (everyday) £24pa

With the various BC memberships come varying degrees of racing licence. If you want to enter any racing event organised under BC rules, if you don't have their membership, you have to obtain a 'day licence' Some events make no provision for day licences and if you do even a couple it then can work out cheaper to to have taken the appropriate BC memebrship in the first place. So you can tailor your membership to your cycling needs. With CTC membership you get access to lots of touring information. Both organisations are good for cycling, whether or not you race or tour.

I've currently got BC silver membership, but when it renews I'll probably just go the 'everyday cycling' membership as it's the cheapest for the insurance cover & legal help.

Also - if you have membership of CTC or BC, you are covered for any audax events you choose to do. You're also covered for time trials as organised by CTT (Cycling Time Trials) the governing body of the time trials sport part of cycling.

You don't have to be a racer to join British Cycling and you don't have to be a cycle tourist to join CTC.

Origamist

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Both will provide you with £10million third party insurance and free legal help in the event of you needing to make a claim against someone or someone makes a claim against you in your everyday cycling (With BC you need 'everyday cycling', silver or gold membership for that).

Price wise. Basic adult membership

CTC £36pa
BC (silver) £35pa
BC (everyday) £24pa

With the various BC memberships come varying degrees of racing licence. If you want to enter any racing event organised under BC rules, if you don't have their membership, you have to obtain a 'day licence' Some events make no provision for day licences and if you do even a couple it then can work out cheaper to to have taken the appropriate BC memebrship in the first place. So you can tailor your membership to your cycling needs. With CTC membership you get access to lots of touring information. Both organisations are good for cycling, whether or not you race or tour.

I've currently got BC silver membership, but when it renews I'll probably just go the 'everyday cycling' membership as it's the cheapest for the insurance cover & legal help.

Also - if you have membership of CTC or BC, you are covered for any audax events you choose to do. You're also covered for time trials as organised by CTT (Cycling Time Trials) the governing body of the time trials sport part of cycling.

You don't have to be a racer to join British Cycling and you don't have to be a cycle tourist to join CTC.

+1

I started out with BC but now I'm a pipe-smoking CTC tweed man....

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
A beard, and sandals, drink real ale, ....

(I sold the sandals)

theboytaylor

I joined the CTC recently almost exclusively for the insurance and legal advice. However, whenever I don't shave for a while I end looking like Shaggy from Scooby Doo and then it moves onto Catweasel, so the beard is a no-no.

Will I be ordered to leave? ;)

gavintc

Guru
I went from CTC to BC when I joined a road club and found myself identifying more with the race community. But, I would say both are respected and excellent organisations, committed to the development of cycling. Join either and you will not go wrong. The insurance benefits justify the costs IMO.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Another alternative is LCC, again perhaps more appropriate if you live in London, but not necessarily so. All three are quality organisations. I belong to both CTC and LCC since I think they both do a great deal of good, and I'm sure the same goes for BCC.

Top Bottom