Customised Coffins - what would you choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having only ever carried one coffin, blimey they aren't half heavy, even with a 'lightweight' person in them - no wonder people have nightmares about 'dropping them'. Even more awkward when you've got a bad shoulder, but 'family' want the 'fellas' to carry them. I won't be volunteering to carry MIL - she's not 'slight'.:ohmy:

AndyRM

XOXO
There's a local system to get around the "Burial Only" rule in Germany; the deceased is cremated, then the undertakers take it on a boat onto the Bodensee. When they reach the Swiss border there's a short service and the ashes are tipped out on the Swiss side of the boat.

Personally I think it would be more interesting to use a cannon, but that's probably an act of war...

It's pretty spectacular...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vKrc30rZeM

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My old friend, the late, great Dave Lewis, was looking at coffins (as you do when you're dying). His wife pointed out a wicker one. He said — I'm not being buried in a picnic-basket. Cardboard coffin and a natural burial under the trees above Oystermouth. Nine years ago now.

DRM

Guru
My mother-in-law chose (in advance) one of those woollen/compacted cardboard coffins
It looked very good indeed

We did get some curious looks though, at the service venue, Wakefield Cathedral;
- Our daughter was a chorister there for about 10 years
- My wife was one of the Wardens
- M-in-L was a volunteer

They offered the use of it, which we accepted, but if anyone readng this knows Wakefield, the Cathedral is in the pedestrianised area, so we had to drive in (hearse & 3 mourners cars)
We had shoppers stopping, looking in the windows, trying to see if it was anyone famous/well--known:whistle:

I was told afterwards, but I didn't see it, that a Police Officer on patrol, stopped & removed his hat out of tradition/respect :notworthy:

Or, more locally to me, the Aire & Calder Navigation Canal!
Even better at Stanley Ferry, spectators could enjoy a pint and a bite to eat whilst watching the funeral

Having only ever carried one coffin, blimey they aren't half heavy, even with a 'lightweight' person in them - no wonder people have nightmares about 'dropping them'. Even more awkward when you've got a bad shoulder, but 'family' want the 'fellas' to carry them. I won't be volunteering to carry MIL - she's not 'slight'.:ohmy:

We used to do burials at the carpenters I worked at: The coffins are heavy enough unoccupied.

tyred

Legendary Member
An elderly relative was buried on one of the wettest days imaginable. When the coffin was being lowered into the ground, my uncle who was one of the pall bearers slipped on the wet grass in his leather soled shoes and fell into the grave on top of the coffin.

Twenty years later and he has never lived it down :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
Anything that burns quick will do me. 🙂
You need a magnesium coffin :okay:

OP
OP
Tenkaykev

Tenkaykev

Guru
Speaking of Coffins, this photo accompanied a magazine article about a running club I was a member of.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There's a local system to get around the "Burial Only" rule in Germany; the deceased is cremated, then the undertakers take it on a boat onto the Bodensee. When they reach the Swiss border there's a short service and the ashes are tipped out on the Swiss side of the boat.

Personally I think it would be more interesting to use a cannon, but that's probably an act of war...
My brother in law's gran came from Switzerland and wanted her ashes to be taken back and scattered when she died. I don't know the background, but there was some sort of a problem getting permission for the scattering where she wanted it done which was mentioned in passing at a family get together. I may have started whistling the Great Escape music...

Thankfully we are all of a similar mindset and the whole family just cracked up as the meaning set in.

Top Bottom