Cycle Brake Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wouldn't mind if they make those compulsory on brakes for anyone racing in a peloton. I remember when things got jittery in the bunch how we all used to glue our eyes to the guy in front's brake caliper. If it moves, you're alert and looking for an escape route. It didn't help if the guy was a font-braker.

Helvetica or Sans Serrif ? :laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This one appeared on Facebook and whilst I wouldn't buy it, I liked the way that the it used the brake mechanism to activate it. I wasn't convinced how well it would be seen as normally the brake callipers sit lower than the top of the wheel.

My kettle needs indicators for when I move it around the kitchen as I'm worried other people in the kitchen may not know where I am moving it. Also brake lights for when I stop moving it.
I wish people in city centres had indicators and brake lights for walking.

I wish people in city centres had indicators and brake lights for walking.
In London we have an audible warning system a bit like the indicating warning on lorries. It sounds a bit like "Get Aaart My Waaay"

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Outside of the city - I've been reliably informed that shouting STRAVA is effective for dispersing walkers - and also works in the queues at Trail Centre coffee shops.

:tongue:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A brake light for a bicycle is not such a bad idea.

You cannot see any vehicle braking, it's why cash for crash scams work so well.

@Yellow Saddle makes some sensible observations about pelotons getting jittery at braking times.

Less extreme, but many of us ride in groups, and I've had a few nervous moments when the rider in front stops for no apparent reason.

If I'm being followed, I usually call 'stopping' if I'm making a stop that isn't blindingly obvious, such as at a T-junction.

That, plus the fact that I had no front brake (on account of me replacing the front wheel with a smaller one off a Tomahawk) meant some scary wobbly speeds too.
This exciting design feature was many years later incorporated by Dahon into some models of its small wheel sports bike the Speed Pro. A suspension hub (yes, think about that) meant that going downhill the brake blocks were likely to miss the rim unless you took particular care with the set-up.

Top Bottom