Cycle Chat Funding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
While it is nice that Shaun provides his services for free, I sometimes feel that there should be a way that we can make a donation or something. After all, these things don't cost nothing to keep going.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Having 'bought the t-shirt', I am already both a free and a friedly mobile advertisment for this most erstwhile forum, and would like that taken into consideration please.:wacko:

Maz

Guru
Shaun is 'admin' I take it?
We could all chip in and buy him a present or something.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
is there a sudden paranoia that he's going to bugger off in a huff and start talking to sheep?

i can't speak for shaun, but if he was after cash he could have taken a small cut from the jerseys, and i doubt anyone would have minded at all. the fact that i'm pretty sure that wasn't the case is a testament to the bloke's good character.

Danny

Legendary Member
Or could we all club together to pay for some advertising to attract more members (assuming we want them).

I've always thought it would be good to see if C+ would accept a regular small ad from us on their Web Directory page.

QuickDraw

I've been thinking about this for a while. I was going to try and do something by PM to keep it a secret but it's out now so here goes.

I thought that we should mark the anniversary of The Great Migration from C+ and show our appreciation of Shaun at the same time.

I've no idea how you organise a whipround in cyberspace though so it might be tricky but assuming we can raise some funds I had a few ideas for you to think about and add to:

A present for Shaun - although he obviously isn't doing this for the money it doesn't mean he wouldn't like us to buy him, say, a brand new bike.

Make a donation to a cycling charity.

Make a donation to a charity of Shaun's choice.

Pay for a full page advert in C+ or similar.

Any combination of the above.

A lot would depend on how much we collected of course but Shaun deserves a lot more than our gratitude.

What do you all think?

simonali

Guru
Just set up a paypal account with voluntary donations. Someone is paying server fees for this place and I wouldn't mind helping out with that now and then.

Shaun

Founder
Dave5N said:
Isn't his current one camp enough then?

:biggrin:

Thanks for the thought - I'll let you all know if it ever becomes a financial burden, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it! :biggrin:

I'm interested in the idea of placing an advert in C+ though - could be fun.

We need someone to get the prices for the various styles and sizes of ads, someone to design the ad/s, and then we can set-up a donation page where people can drop a few pennies into the CC Paypal account. When we've collected enough we can book the ad.

Cheers,
Shaun

(See what I did there - delegated the whole thing onto everyone else - how's that for management .... :biggrin:)

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
If you post your address on here then we could all start ordering pizzas and stuff for you! :biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
I'm happy to phone up C+ and ask them what the price of a small ad would be - whether they would take it is another question.

postman

Legendary Member
Tell them the story of the CC jersey not the wrong one.How quick it was from idea to the final thing and then give them a picture.This is a superb site.

buggi

Bird Saviour
you know, i think we should all get out local rag's to do a story about the jersey relay? we might even get on the national news!

Danny

Legendary Member
Had a quick chat with the C+ Advertising Dept. I got prices for two specific sizes just to see what we would be talking about:

3cms (h) x 9cms (w) = £53
6cms (h) x 9cms (w) = £79

If you look in the Marketplace section of the April issue you will see ads for Cyclewales.net and Bikebox which correspond to these sizes.

We could probably get these prices down with a bit of negotiation, and they certainly would offer discounts for multiple insertions.

They do smaller sizes as well so I would assume we could get a 3cm x 4.5cm add for about £30, which is probably a more sensible amount to spend.

If we want to take this forward, we really need to decide on what we believe is a realistic advertising budget, and then go and negotiate the best deal possible.

They did point out that the issues that appear in May, June and July are all good sellers because of the amount to TDF coverage they have, so we might maximise out impact if we advertised in one of those.

I didn't have the courage to ask about advertising on the Bike Radar website:shy:

Top Bottom