Cycle Chat Funding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuickDraw

Dannyg said:
But if we could raise, say, £100 we could afford to run three smaller adds in three successive issues which might have more impact than one big one.

£100? Between all the posters on here surely we can raise more than that. I'm another one who'd put in a tenner. I think Shaun deserves at least half a page in the next 3 issues but preferably a whole page. How much would that cost?

Does anyone know how to set up one of these online donation things? Maybe we should see how much money we can raise before we decide how to spend it.

Who's going to look after the money btw?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm not letting me or Stephec handle the cash as according to another current thread we're untrustworthy bandits;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't want to sound like a wet blanket. Ok, I am, but...

Do we NEED to advertise? I mean as there is no advertising on site, surely there is no financial benefit to Shaun to increase the hit rate - or is there? I've very little idea how this stuff works. I know, as a community, it's to our benefit for things not to be stale and just the same old folk, but we seem to have a fairly steady stream of newbies....

I think I'm maybe a little bit afraid of this place getting overcrowded...

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
I tend to agree with Arch on this one. The ad might not be necessary as we already come up on the first page in Google if you search on "cycling forum uk".

Danny

Legendary Member
Don't want to see this place get over-crowded, but am equally concerned that it will get too small and introspective (like ACF?).

I know we are getting some newbies but I am not sure how many of them stay around. Inevitably some regular posters are going to drop out for one reason or another, so there is a case for ensuring we have some regular injections of new blood.

Plus I would be intrigued to see whether C+ would take an ad from us at all.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
domtyler said:
I tend to agree with Arch on this one. The ad might not be necessary as we already come up on the first page in Google if you search on "cycling forum uk".

Actually search item 12, 2nd page

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
given the turbulence over at acf, i'd be wary of advertising while the prospect of an influx of experienced forumers is still a possibility.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Smeggers said:
IMO this place is very cliquey, so some new victims blood would be good.

Really???? do you really think that??? :biggrin:

i'm very surprised because that is the one reason i love this place, coz i think it isn't.

yello

Another inclined to agree with Arch here. But I think Shaun ought take the lead or give an ok on direction. I have no idea whether the current infrastructure (server and admin, etc) is up to any potential influx. Remember the mess that was BikeRadar to begin with?

Personally, I like the size of CycleChat as is. I find BikeRadar unwieldy, ACF too to a lesser extent. As long as there is a natural ebb and flow of users than that should keep the posts fresh. I have no problem putting some money in the kitty for admin costs etc, btw. I have no idea how much PayPal cream off for such things but it would seem like the simplest way for individuals to contribute as they see fit.

Top Bottom