Cycle Chat Funding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Smeggers said:
IMO this place is very cliquey, so some new victims blood would be good.

Must admit i often think the same.
Not sure on the advert though. I think it Arch is right with it could end up with alot of members and just being over too crowded and not as good.

Dave5N

Über Member
I don't find it cliquey and I don't feel I am part of any clique either.

But then I don't do tea. :biggrin:

Smeggers

The Young Soul Rebel said:
I got a nice warm welcome when I joined and I do not think it is clicquey.
You're obviously all "tea" drinkers then :biggrin:

Seriously though, this is supposed to be a public forum, the more contributors then the better? (whether that be opinion in Soapbox, advice in beginners or inanity in here :biggrin:)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Smeggers said:
You're obviously all "tea" drinkers then :biggrin:

Seriously though, this is supposed to be a public forum, the more contributors then the better? (whether that be opinion in Soapbox, advice in beginners or inanity in here :angry:)

Yeah, and it IS a public forum and anyone can join, and they do. I just don't know that we need to advertise, at least by more than word of mouth, when there are new folk coming all the time anyway.

If 'cliques' form, it's only because some groups of people tend to get on well and chat to each other. I don't recall ever seeing a thread or post saying "don't post here, you're too new", or "don't post here, we don't like you", unless it's obvious trolling and even then many people make an effort to be welcoming. If people don't fit in well to a conversation, they either drift off, or persist and unless it gets abusive, the thread just lives or dies naturally. Even Tea? New faces do come in and out of that, the regulars at the start were different to the regulars now...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
Yeah, and it IS a public forum and anyone can join, and they do. I just don't know that we need to advertise, at least by more than word of mouth, when there are new folk coming all the time anyway.

If 'cliques' form, it's only because some groups of people tend to get on well and chat to each other. I don't recall ever seeing a thread or post saying "don't post here, you're too new", or "don't post here, we don't like you", unless it's obvious trolling and even then many people make an effort to be welcoming. If people don't fit in well to a conversation, they either drift off, or persist and unless it gets abusive, the thread just lives or dies naturally. Even Tea? New faces do come in and out of that, the regulars at the start were different to the regulars now...

no wonder they're regular if they drink all that tea :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
Did someone say more members? I'd better hold off on the jerseys!!

Smeggers said:
IMO this place is very cliquey, so some new victims blood would be good.
Oh god, not the sodding C word again...:becool:
No, it isn't. Why do people misuse the C word so much? Cliques exist purely to exclude outsiders. They are hostile and unwelcoming by definition. Which part of that could you possibly apply to any part of this forum? New blood is good though, I always worried abut this place getting too cosy and stale and a steady influx would be no bad thing.

yenrod

Chuffy said:
Oh god, not the sodding C word again...:becool:
No, it isn't. Why do people misuse the C word so much? Cliques exist purely to exclude outsiders. They are hostile and unwelcoming by definition. Which part of that could you possibly apply to any part of this forum? New blood is good though, I always worried abut this place getting too cosy and stale and a steady influx would be no bad thing.

Yep ! :biggrin:

Smeggers

Chuffy said:
Oh god, not the sodding C word again...:cry:
Indeed.

EmGee DK

I cant tell if there are cliques or not. If there is, its not noticeable in the threads I've read. Tea-thread being an exception since I am a coffee guy :wacko: However senior members, who I understand came from another forum before migrating to CC, will have a familiar tone in their posts, which may be mistaken for cliqueish. It takes a while and some writing before you get to be a part of that. Its no different than being new in other social situations.

But as new here I can tell that it IS a friendly place. The biggest dispute I have seen so far was about which bicycle lock to use :cry: - talk about the attention and care for details.

Regarding the need or the wish for new blood at a greater pace I would suggest that before you start using money on adverts you try to up your google placement. I tried three keywords: 1. 'cycling' - nowhere to be seen on the first page 2. 'cycling forum' same 3. 'cycling forum uk' - 6th.
The key (one of them) to a good google ranking is links. Get as many inbound links as you can from websites with cycling related content. And dont give any outbound links away. If any of you write articles, have blogs or own websites - link to CC. If however all this seo mumbo jumbo also is to much, then I would reccomend google addwords instead of banner adds.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
EmGee DK said:
However senior members, who I understand came from another forum before migrating to CC, will have a familiar tone in their posts, which may be mistaken for cliqueish. It takes a while and some writing before you get to be a part of that. Its no different than being new in other social situations.
Some of the senior members came from another forum, some didn't - everyone's post counts started here as zero, some people just post a lot ;)

Top Bottom