Cycle Chatter Targets 2020

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Whorty

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Here are my 2020 goals. A bit stretching, but my Coach said my initial ones were "too modest" :blink:

Set no total distance or TSS goals this year
Create a productive engagement with my coach this year - follow the (4 year) plan
Ride at least 50% of my miles outside
Enter at least 6 races (BC Cat 4 or British Masters), including Masters National Championships
Qualify for Gran Fondo World Championships
Win at least one race
Study race tactics and document plan and outcome in each race
Beat my Power Bests at all levels
Get weight to 70kg (11 stone)
… Stretch target FTP 4W/Kg
Have a minimum of 50% dry days
Complete the Cingles Challenge on Mont Ventoux

We have 2 in common .... weight and dry days (I don't drink much these days anyway so not hard to meet that one :laugh:). Would love to get my FTP to 4 w/kg, but realistically I should be able to get it to 3.5 if I can just get over my weight problem. At my height 60kg should be realistic, so 70kg should be 'easy' (if only) and so long as I keep my current power then I'm good. I need to follow your training (and what I've been reading a lot recently) and keep the hard days very hard, and the easy days really easy to recover. I think I do too many mid-range rides, which keeps my power steady but isn't helping me improve my FTP and top end power.

You're an inspiration Martin ..... I just have 10 years to catch up with you :laugh:

Norry1

Legendary Member
I just have 10 years to catch up with you :laugh:

Did I tell you about my "60 Challenge" I set myself when I was 55? .... if so, don't read on.

It was - as I hadn't ever trained "properly" for cycling I felt I could improve more each year from 55 to 60 than I lost due to ageing. I keep a spreadsheet of all the max Powers from 15 secs to 4 hours and aim to beat them each year. So far I have done so and am now considerably better than I was at 55. So you have all those extra years to do the same :smile:

Not sure when this philosophy runs out. Obviously I won't be better at 80 years old than 60 :laugh:

ozboz

Guru
My goal is more of a Quest , to visit the out of the way places in Wales, Northumbria , Scotland and so on, there are many trails to follow , I was checking out the Sandstone Ride yesterday , looks sorted. My first will be from Machynlleth to Shell Island ( Llanbedr) 30 odd miles through Snowdonia NP .as a taster for Bikepacking , prob about Easter and meet up with my Bro who goes camping there a lot, if all goes well physically I’ll be planning a few more , there is a lot of natural beauty and places of great interest to me out there , training begins this week now the MTB is fettled to suit I need to get my weight down a good stone and reverse
( hopefully! ) the atrophy I have succomed to around my lower left leg ,

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
As we're now in 2020 I'll move my trail of destruction to the 2020 targets thred.
Won't know until at least the 20th Jan :cursing:. I'm hoping it's gonna be something simple, and quick. I'm going to Spain at the end of Jan, but may be able to push that back if I can get an early date for an op, if that's the route they decide to go down.

Just sitting here being frustrated at almost every turn due to the limitations I'm currently running under :cry:
Well I've had my 2nd consultation. It looks likely that I'll be having an angioplasty in the artery just above my right side groin :ohmy:. A common problem with cyclists according to the consultant :blink:

I was sent off for more tests, blood draws x3 :eek:. I'll also be having a CT scan done (to show up any stuff the ultrasound didn't show), waiting for the date on that. I tried, at the behest of the consultant, to get an appointment asap but was stymied by the NHS computer systems lack of connections to each other, the CT dept hadn't received the scan request by the time I'd got there so I'm waiting on a phone call :banghead:.

So it's another series of 'hurry up and wait. (Edit to add) The consultant did say that after the CT scan there will be no need for any further consultaions and she'd likely go straight to the op.

I'm meant to be going away for a few weeks from the middle of next week, may have to push that to make way for the scan:cry:and possible op.

Last edited:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Here are my 2020 goals. A bit stretching, but my Coach said my initial ones were "too modest" :blink:

Set no total distance or TSS goals this year
Create a productive engagement with my coach this year - follow the (4 year) plan
Ride at least 50% of my miles outside
Enter at least 6 races (BC Cat 4 or British Masters), including Masters National Championships
Qualify for Gran Fondo World Championships
Win at least one race
Study race tactics and document plan and outcome in each race
Beat my Power Bests at all levels
Get weight to 70kg (11 stone)
… Stretch target FTP 4W/Kg
Have a minimum of 50% dry days
Complete the Cingles Challenge on Mont Ventoux

Are you planning to go for the Ventoux Cingles challenge when we go there in July Martin?

Norry1

Legendary Member
Are you planning to go for the Ventoux Cingles challenge when we go there in July Martin?

Yep, that is the plan :smile:

Norry1

Legendary Member
I discussed this with my mate who's coming (can't remember if we discussed on the forum actually?) I don't know if I'll be up for it or not (or capable for that matter!) but it's on my radar too!

Well I have climbed Ventoux (as you know) which was awesome - so Cingles seems like the next thing to try. Only thing that might stop me trying is if I have an important race close afterwards.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Well I have climbed Ventoux (as you know) which was awesome - so Cingles seems like the next thing to try. Only thing that might stop me trying is if I have an important race close afterwards.
My mate's already done Ventoux before as well so I guess it's the same logic for him. I guess I can say I'll do it and then decide how realistic that actually is once I've completed the first ascent!

CXRAndy

Guru
I discussed this with my mate who's coming (can't remember if we discussed on the forum actually?) I don't know if I'll be up for it or not (or capable for that matter!) but it's on my radar too!

There are two obvious issues with cingle attempt, weather and nutrition. You just have to hope that the weekend weather is suited to 3 ascents. Food and water, if done unassisted you need to go into Malacuence, Bedoin and Sault to replenish. Its a shame you dont have a back up van to allow you to eat and refill on the peak so can let food settle whilst making descents.

Id hoped to be in France at Avignon, but I think our family holidays now collide with your weekend visit

Good luck to all at Ventoux :okay:

bridgy

Legendary Member
There are two obvious issues with cingle attempt, weather and nutrition. You just have to hope that the weekend weather is suited to 3 ascents. Food and water, if done unassisted you need to go into Malacuence, Bedoin and Sault to replenish. Its a shame you dont have a back up van to allow you to eat and refill on the peak so can let food settle whilst making descents.

Id hoped to be in France at Avignon, but I think our family holidays now collide with your weekend visit

Good luck to all at Ventoux :okay:
Good points Andy. The place we're staying at do offer the provision of a support vehicle for exactly this, including carrying clothing, spare bottles etc and mechanical support (for a fee). We'll perhaps have to see how many people want to do it and decide if it's worth the cost as it could be split between us

CXRAndy

Guru
Good points Andy. The place we're staying at do offer the provision of a support vehicle for exactly this, including carrying clothing, spare bottles etc and mechanical support (for a fee). We'll perhaps have to see how many people want to do it and decide if it's worth the cost as it could be split between us

If its not bad weather, And a few want the back up. I would recommend it. The climbs are long and so are the descents. To get to shops and buy food when someone is able to give you a bagette on the peak is worth a lot of hassle. Leave the Sault ascent till last. its the easiest by far(apart from the top section-which you will do twice Bedoin/Sault) albeit slightly longer

Top Bottom