Cycle clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Is it me or is cycling just an excuse for middle age people to wear lycra?
Er no, I wear Lycra when I go on for a swing party.

Wolf616

Über Member
I don't actually cycle anymore, but I carry my helmet around with me everywhere so that people don't look more than twice at my lovely, warm, hug-in-a-piece-of-fabric tights.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Is it me or is cycling just an excuse for middle age people to wear lycra?
its just you.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Don't get me wrong as I love the skin tight feel of lycra next to my skin. It's just that there is more skin to cover these days!
Ah, so maybe you shouldn't wear it, or maybe you need a different bike.

I am buying an entirely new riding wardrobe to suit a new (another) bike, the two don't seem to suit one another.

I love it, it provides a real sense of variety

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I must admit, I used to look askance at middle aged guys in lycra (particularly my uncle), but that was just ignorance. Equally I was an impatient driver with cyclists, just the sort of muppet we all have to put up with on the roads!

To the observer, I guess all the lycra can look a little over the top. There again, one could probably play football in heavy cotton shorts, and vests, rather than lots of shiny polyester. Equally the Victorians used to make perfectly serviceable bathing costumes, which also helped protect against skin cancer!

Bottom line is, petro-chemical by products produce a lot of materials which can be very useful in technical wear, or even natural materials, paired with modern technology and research, can result in excellent technical clothing. There's a lot of satisfaction go be gained, and pain to be avoided, in using the right gear.

GoldDust

Regular
I am a young lady who wears cycling leggings but I always wear a loose floaty top. I don't think it looks nice to have a fully body of tight clothing or barely any clothing a bit self degrading and unnecessary thankfully where I live everyone covers up with loose clothing and cycling shorts I presume hidden underneath.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
When I was in my twenties I used to wear lycra shorts with a regular t-shirt. Now that I'm middle-aged I've gone FTKW and I embrace it, shaved legs in the summer and all. It's definitely faster (the lycra, not so sure about the legs).

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
When I was in my twenties I used to wear lycra shorts with a regular t-shirt. Now that I'm middle-aged I've gone FTKW and I embrace it, shaved legs in the summer and all. It's definitely faster (the lycra, not so sure about the legs).
Dont put yourself down , i thought your legs looked pretty dammed good at Hillingdon .

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stretchy, snug-fitting clothes are the best for road cycling for several reasons:

No flapping in the wind and a smooth aerodynamic shape.
Rain doesn't soak the material making it heavy and clingy and body heat dries it fast.
Efficient removal of sweat from the surface.
No creasing or bunching in the saddle area.
Nothing to catch in the pedals or on gates/branches/highland cattle etc.

Top Bottom