Cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have on the Jake a Cateye Strada. Pretty basic, only shows 2 functions at a time (current speed plus either time, average, max etc). One of the troubles I have is seeing the display in the dark, so the unit stays at home during the winter.

Now I have the new bike I'd like to get a speedometer thats a little more advanced, shows more functions and I can see the display at night. It also has to sit on the stem as theres no bar space (compact 440mm drops).

What are the options with the least interferance of the bike? I'd like to see calories too, possibly cadence. What do you lot use and why?

With a little more functions and a backlight I've got a Cateye Micro Wireless, it can be stem munted although mine sat on my bars but I much prefer the bigger screen on my Garmin 305 and can have current speed, average speed, cadence, time, gradient etc all showing at one time and its got a backlight too and is mounted to my stem. Also I like being able to colect data and not have to worry about it at the time but review it later.

zacklaws

Guru
I too would go along with the Edge 305 or even an Edge 500. Alternativley, how about wearing a headlight, along with my normal lights, I find a headlight very useful as I can illuminate the area that I am turning into and avoid unseen hazards which you cannot do with a fixed light. As well as a Edge 305 I use a VDO C4 which is unilluminated but a quick glance down with the headlight and I can see it to read it.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Everyone keeps mentioning Lidl.. everytime I go in there they've got nothing. :wacko:

Been toying with the idea of a Garmin. I know Gaz uses one and I like the idea of using GPS/the puter at home to see elevation... might be overkill though. I went on the Garmin site this morning and saw theres a new cycle one coming out. Maybe the older ones will come down in price?

Just checked. The '500 is 250 quid. :ohmy: :unsure:

No it's not. More like £150 from amazon or tescos(online and supposedly some of the bigger shops though bigger must mean gigantic as the ashby de la zouche store isn't exactly small). The 500 bundle with hr monitor and cadence sensor can be £180 from amazon if you keep an eye on their price tracking(it went down to that two days after I paid £186 :angry: , currently £180 as I prefer to buy from amazon rather than er UK liquidators).
Mind you getting a gps system just for a backlight is OTT. The suggestion of buying a headlight is probably a bit more practical (certainly more practical than suggesting you buy a computer from a store that only has stock for a week or so every 6 months :wacko: )

C

chillyuk

:biggrin: Lidle Bke computer. 33 functions including light. £3.99

I have one of these on my town bike. I find the backlight too bright and it makes the numbers virtually invisable. May just be me, or my unit, but that's my view of it.

Still worthwhile though for £4.

What about weather-proofing? How do these units cope in the wet? The Strada gets on ok.

Do you mean the Garmin, mine's had some proper soakings, the longest I can think was 105 miles (6 and1/4 hours) in the pishing rain in last years Ken Laidlaw Sportif and it gets on OK too. The 305 has got one underneath opening for the usb port but its sealed with a rubber bit and isn't an issue.

zacklaws

Guru
What about weather-proofing? How do these units cope in the wet?

My Garmin Edge 305 is 2 years old and in heavy rain, it lets water in somewhere. I know because when it warms up, I get condensation inside the screen. I have a feeling that maybe one of the rubber buttons on the side may be getting worn so it gets in there.

It is no issue though as I just get a piece of clingfilm, wrap it tight around it whilst it is mounted on the bike, then secure it with an elastic band underneath, but I have done this since I got it, as there so expensive, I thought I may as well waterproof it a bit more. Its just every now and then I get caught out in the rain.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The Garmins are almost tempting me but I cant justify £170 for a computer. (Unless I win the lotto tonight :biggrin: )
Might just scrape by at £100 for a budget, looking at my account today.

ian789

I may of missed the point but what does the Garmin offer over say a £20 computer off ebay?
wacko.gif

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I may of missed the point but what does the Garmin offer over say a £20 computer off ebay?
wacko.gif

Shows how steep the climbs and descents are, and you can correlate your speed to that for training.
EDIT: oh and a lot of them let you share routes as they use GPS, not sure of the 500 though

Shows how steep the climbs and descents are, and you can correlate your speed to that for training.
EDIT: oh and a lot of them let you share routes as they use GPS, not sure of the 500 though
On the 500 you get three pages worth of configurable data including variations on speed, distance, altitude,temperature all without having to attach any additional probes due to using gps positioning. You can upload this data to your computer including the route which can be displayed on google earth. Add in the hrm and cadence and you'll get full analysis of your heart rate at various points, how you were varying pedalling speed , calorie usage etc etc. Far more than a £20 ebay job.
But as I already observed £150 is an awful lot just for the back light facility the OP wants and he should just get a headlamp.

Top Bottom