cycle computers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kristen dean

Now my old cateye has given up on me after 14 years of mtb'ing i am looking at getting a new one which will be used for the road. Are cateye still up there as one of the best, my one was wireless, one of the first ones i think, are wireless the ones to go for? Want a reliable one with as much info as poss, any suggestions?

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I'm waiting on a Bontrager trip 5 from evans. i got it because it has a temp sensor and backlight over the cateye velo wireless.
also i'm not sure if you can mount the velo to your stem but apparently the bontrager can fine.
ta
pete

jjc89

Über Member
If you have an iPhone or an Android phone I'd get an app like Strava, it's free. You start the ride and put the phone in your pocket/bag/whatever(you can even get handlebar mounted phone brackets and a cable which connects to a dynamo to charge your phone on the move) and uses the GPS thing on your phone to track your ride. At the end of every ride it gives you your route on Google Maps, average + highest speed, elevation gain, distance travelled and any achievements you may have made - such as beating a previous time. It also has achievements around where you live where you can beat other users times for certain journeys and all are placed on a leaderboard. Furthermore you get an account with the website and you log in to website, plug your phone into the computer and it transfers all your data so you can go into great detail about every ride and it tells you such things as what speed you were at a certain point in any journey you have logged. It's seriously good software and I cannot recommend it enough.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I use a wired Cateye Enduro 8. It does everything I need it to do, and does it well. I hear too many stories of wireless computers picking up false readings to be able to trust them - cue lots of people saying how reliable their wireless computer is... (or how unreliable their wired computer is in the wet)

d.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If you have an iPhone or an Android phone I'd get an app like Strava, it's free. You start the ride and put the phone in your pocket/bag/whatever(you can even get handlebar mounted phone brackets and a cable which connects to a dynamo to charge your phone on the move) and uses the GPS thing on your phone to track your ride. At the end of every ride it gives you your route on Google Maps, average + highest speed, elevation gain, distance travelled and any achievements you may have made - such as beating a previous time. It also has achievements around where you live where you can beat other users times for certain journeys and all are placed on a leaderboard. Furthermore you get an account with the website and you log in to website, plug your phone into the computer and it transfers all your data so you can go into great detail about every ride and it tells you such things as what speed you were at a certain point in any journey you have logged. It's seriously good software and I cannot recommend it enough.

but it kills the battery on the phone very quickly.........so in an emergency you have no battery left

buy a garmin 200 gps £100 and keep the phone emergency use.

stu1903

Über Member
+1 for buying a Garmin GPS device. I have the GArmin Edge 705 and love it! Never lost a signal and can get many rides out one battery charge. The 705 has been replaced with the 800.

Top Bottom