Cycle Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just to put the post in some perspective and not quite a selective view of the program. the professions who deal with this type of injury are in no doubt about the benefits of wearing head protection whilst cycling.

Is that why in 2011 the British Medical Asociation voted against helmet compulsion by 68%?

The medical profession is certainly not unanimous in its views on helmets with many against compulsion, and many also disagreeing with their value in preventing injury.

Do you really think that the medical evidence is unequivocal, and should be believed "just because a medic said it"?

Having said that...whisper...James Cracknell...(sneaks away to watch the fireworks...)

article-0-0BB45ACF00000578-518_468x648.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
P.S. What little research there is on the subject also indicates helmet wearers ride faster and take more risks.
Ha! Now I know for sure you make your statistics up as you go along :laugh:
No controversy meant here, I'm just comparing your statement and .... myself!

Just to illustrate the effectiveness of cycle helmets below is data from Ontario showing the effect of a massive increase and a massive decrease in helmet wearing on the head injury rate.

Photo Apr 14, 6 17 37.gif

The one thing you can probably say from this is doubling the helmet wearing rate and halving it both had zero effect on the rate of head injuries in cyclists. i.e. they as good as had no effect whatsoever.

After.... and he also forgets to mention that he is sponsored by a Cycle Helmet Company to promote helmets!

This would be a vested interest and should be declared every time he promotes helmets, but seemingly gets forgotten

After.... and he also forgets to mention that he is sponsored by a Cycle Helmet Company to promote helmets!

Worse than that. Although he clearly is sponsored by a helmet company and they confirm it on their website, JC himself denies it.

"The quick actions of the ambulance crew saved my life," Mr Cracknell said, adding: "I don’t have a commercial relationship with the manufacturer, by the way.""

If he doesn't have a commercial relationship with a manufacturer what is this and this all about?

Ha! Now I know for sure you make your statistics up as you go along :laugh:
No controversy meant here, I'm just comparing your statement and .... myself!

You are an anecdote not statistics

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I'm leaving the argument with this...if my head is, under the force of gravity, heading towards a sharp rock, I would prefer to have some plastic/polystyrene/anything wrapped around my head than my soft skull being exposed.

If you can't see the sense in that then maybe you need some knocking into you! :-) hopefully not by a fall!

Dan B

Disengaged member
I'm leaving the argument with this...if my head is, under the force of gravity, heading towards a sharp rock, I would prefer to have some plastic/polystyrene/anything wrapped around my head than my soft skull being exposed.
I see where you're coming from. If my skull was softer than polystyrene foam I'd probably have the same opinion

If you can't see the sense in that then maybe you need some knocking into you! :-) hopefully not by a fall!

So you wear a helmet all the time then?

Yep - that covers hill walking... now what about cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom