Cycle Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nearly there

Veteran
ouch ouch ouch, bet he wished he'd have strapped a helmet to his thigh. thats gonna sting when he gets in the bath .
It did
Mark Cavendish@MarkCavendish
What could be worse than getting in the shower with this?http://pic.twitter.com/S0GBW2hB

Hide photo

mountain biking?

Nope- no mention of them, in fact you did no specify the activity at all.

You have described a single incident where an accident has happened, so let's take your scenario and make it specific to the two groups and ask a simple question??

We have someone in mid air about to strike a rock with their head.

You are out hill walking and trip .....your head is under the force of gravity, heading towards a sharp rock, would you prefer to have some plastic/polystyrene/anything wrapped around your head than my soft skull being exposed.

You are out mountain biking and lose control .....your head is under the force of gravity, heading towards a sharp rock, would you prefer to have some plastic/polystyrene/anything wrapped around your head than my soft skull being exposed.

Your original scenario is precisely the same for both... are you suggesting that hitting the same rock with the same impact is somehow bizarrely not going to hurt as much, or cause the same damage to a hill walker as a mountain biker?

In the specific case you describe surely a helmet would be offer the same level protection in both cases in both cases?

I would love to hear your opinion.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnGi2KTVFRM
The way he hit his head on the tarmac then your not telling me a helmet didnt prevent more serious damage?

Are you sure it hit the tarmac?

Screen Shot 2012-05-19 at 08.48.58.png

Of course with the helmet on his head his head came a lot closer to hitting the tarmac than it would have without a helmet. And after the crash there was not a mark on the helmet on the side he might have hit.

Screen Shot 2012-05-19 at 08.51.13.png

Both screen captures from the video you posted. So yet another case of someone ascribing life saving properties to a helmet that weren't.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Nope- no mention of them, in fact you did no specify the activity at all.

You have described a single incident where an accident has happened, so let's take your scenario and make it specific to the two groups and ask a simple question??

We have someone in mid air about to strike a rock with their head.

You are out hill walking and trip .....your head is under the force of gravity, heading towards a sharp rock, would you prefer to have some plastic/polystyrene/anything wrapped around your head than my soft skull being exposed.

You are out mountain biking and lose control .....your head is under the force of gravity, heading towards a sharp rock, would you prefer to have some plastic/polystyrene/anything wrapped around your head than my soft skull being exposed.

Your original scenario is precisely the same for both... are you suggesting that hitting the same rock with the same impact is somehow bizarrely not going to hurt as much, or cause the same damage to a hill walker as a mountain biker?

In the specific case you describe surely a helmet would be offer the same level protection in both cases in both cases?

I would love to hear your opinion.

I agree. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. How you get that from two words is beyond me but there you go.

1855124 said:
Well there you go ladies and gentlemen. A little more complicated than you first thought eh?

Expect to see mandatory clairvoyant talking ant helmets legislation hit Parliament any day now. You know it makes sense (to the helmet lobby anyways). :wacko:

Gary E

Veteran
Personally I think that people who decide that they want to wear a helmet are marvellous people and similarly that people who choose for themselves not to wear a helmet are smashing.

I do however think that a*%eholes who think they know best (and use everything from TV programs they've watched to the formula to calculate the rotational forces on a helmet during a crash as evidence) should be put to a slow and painful death!

Sorry to be so direct but people, really? Grow up!

OP
OP
steve keay

steve keay

Über Member
I'll take that as a "No, I haven't though about that and don't have an answer" then.
No I hadnt thought about the helmet making my head twice as big and twice as likely to hit something. I posted the original post as its not anything Ive considered thinking about, you guys on here are more experienced cyclists than me and just thought it would be interesting to ask the question. and after all this debate I guess Im no clearer on the safety issue.
I used to race stock cars and rods and always had the full fireproofs and helmet etc. and would have felt exposed without it ( I know the regs said must be worn) but on a bike I dont feel uncomfortable wearing shorts, t shirt and no helmet.
But I thank you all for the interesting comments :smile:

Gary E

Veteran
1855137 said:
You are early. The "I have no time for this debate but feel the need to tell you all that rather than just ignore it post" is usually left until pages 11 and 26.
Yeah I thought I'd get in early to avoid the rush. Must be feeling weak this morning I usually just ignore threads with the word 'helmet' in them.
But thanks for feeling the need to comment on me feeling the need to comment :thumbsup:

No I hadnt thought about the helmet making my head twice as big and twice as likely to hit something. I posted the original post as its not anything Ive considered thinking about, you guys on here are more experienced cyclists than me and just thought it would be interesting to ask the question. and after all this debate I guess Im no clearer on the safety issue.
I used to race stock cars and rods and always had the full fireproofs and helmet etc. and would have felt exposed without it ( I know the regs said must be worn) but on a bike I dont feel uncomfortable wearing shorts, t shirt and no helmet.
But I thank you all for the interesting comments :smile:

But, based on your stock car experience do you wear a helmet in your road car? And as I asked, do you wear a helmet all the time? Your head is far far more likely to impact something hard as a result of non-cycling activities than it is cycling. So if the rationale is to protect it from hitting a hard thing you would be far better off wearing a helmet off the bike rather than on.

Yeah I thought I'd get in early to avoid the rush. Must be feeling weak this morning I usually just ignore threads with the word 'helmet' in them.
But thanks for feeling the need to comment on me feeling the need to comment :thumbsup:

Can I just interrupt here to say that I'd like to comment on your comment on a comment? :hello:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom