Cycle helmets are useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Say your traveling at 15mph, you slip on a manhole and come off and bang your head on the kerb or whatever. With or without the helmet it will hurt. But the difference I think would be an open wound also, if you were not wearing a helmet. The impact would be reduced slightly too I would think if you had one on.
Loads of scenarios I can think of where a well fitting cycling helmet would help at least a bit.

Struggling to think of any where a helmet causes more damage etc...?

Personally I wear one only half the time. Don'twant my hair messed up sometimes, haha.

So why don't they work in Australia or Ontario then?

doog

Look at Doog's first contribution to the thread. It ends with a cheap insult toward anyone who doesn't think the same way. Do those who are not helmet promoters descend to cheap insult so readily? I would suggest not, they engage the argument.

You think thats a cheap insult? You probably need to live a bit.

You post sarcasm and snide...I hate that more than anything.

Say your traveling at 15mph, you slip on a manhole and come off and bang your head on the kerb or whatever. With or without the helmet it will hurt. But the difference I think would be an open wound also, if you were not wearing a helmet. The impact would be reduced slightly too I would think if you had one on.

Say your running at 5mph, you slip on a manhole, fall over and bang your head on the kerb or whatever. With or without the helmet it will hurt. But the difference I think would be an open wound also, if you were not wearing a helmet. The impact would be reduced slightly too I would think if you had one on.

If your statement justifies helmets for cyclists, does mine justify helmets for pedestrians?

Loads of scenarios I can think of where a well fitting cycling helmet would help at least a bit.

Struggling to think of any where a helmet causes more damage etc...?

Actually you have answered your own question.

Research shows that;
Individuals whose helmets were reported to fit poorly had a 1.96-fold increased risk of head injury compared with those whose helmets fit well.

There is also the problem of "snag points" which can cause rapid deceleration, and rotation which will exacerbate head injury and cause neck injury.
In a worst case these protuberances on a helmet can cause it to eject from the head.

I wear a helmet because it makes my mum happy :smile:

Im 22...

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Urban myth. A good helmet and good leathers are the bikers best friends.
Complete garbage, I've ridden many motorcycles is everything from shorts, jeans, combat trousers, kevlar lined jeans full leathers and none of it made any difference to my safety. The worst off I had was when a car pulled across me I bounced of his bonnet and the worst injury I had was a whiplash injury. I didn't bang my head at all (hips and legs were bruised though - leathers didn't help there) and maybe without the helmet I'd not have had the whiplash that caused me issues for years after.
That day my leathers did nothing and my helmet may have exacerbated my injuries.

No it didn't. It came in to reduce deaths, which is what it did. And, yes - the law would be brought in today if it wasn't already on the books.
The lack of helmet didn't cause the deaths, inappropriate riding for the road conditions caused the deaths. aka rider error
I have no stats (that doesn't seem to stop people around here!) but I reckon smoking and drinking cause plenty of deaths and it has been proven - I don't see any of those activities being legislated against to stop them.

Well, we do need more donors...
Indeed we do, I'm sure plenty of people view cyclists in general this way - your point is?

For me it's not whether a helmet does any good or not, it's lack of freedom of choice - I don't believe the state or anybody (regulator!) should tell me what I should and shouldn't do in relation to my own activities. Especially when there doesn't seem to be any empirical evidence that proves anything.

The other problem with helmets is that they are a wonderful red herring that is used all too frequently to divert attention from the real issues.

I do not just mean the frequent cases where a cyclist is knocked off through no fault of their own, and then gets blamed for the injuries inflicted upon them because they were not wearing a helmet.

It is proven that training cyclists reduces the number of accidents by half when compared to non-trained, yet the katest research shows helmets reduce injuries in some 16% of cases.

Where is the logic in trying to decrease the injury in a small percentage of accidents, when we could prevent these accidents in the first place?

Peteaud

Veteran
christonabike.jpg

Jesus does not wear a helmet, he puts some weird goldfish bowl on his head 1st.

Praise the lord, i'm off to goldfish world to buy a see thru helmet bowl, some pink Jesus Creepers and a Cannondale Bottle.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Never seen a post yet from a rider who didnt wear a helmet, boasting about how much less damage he suffered to his head by not wearing one.

Until they start appearing en masse, I would rather keep a lid on that thin bit of skin between the road and my noggin.

I guess all of these wannabee heroes dont wear padding in their shorts either
well, if you go back a bit, you'll see a thread that describes that very thing..........(and, yes, I was there)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom