Cycle Jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sophi_star

Hi,

Was wondering where to get the most cost effective cycling jacket. I want it be high viz but dont want to spend as much as £100.00 like some of them are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

bottombracket

Hi sophi_star

I think the Endura Gridlock cycling jacket looks like great value for money at the moment...
About £50, waterproof, breathable, zipped armpit vents, back pocket and small pocket on the chest... available in hi viz I think(?)

I saw it reviewed here - http://www.velonews.co.uk/2010/01/03/endura-gridlock-waterproof-cycling-jacket/

OP
OP
S

sophi_star

bottombracket said:
Hi sophi_star

I think the Endura Gridlock cycling jacket looks like great value for money at the moment...
About £50, waterproof, breathable, zipped armpit vents, back pocket and small pocket on the chest... available in hi viz I think(?)

I saw it reviewed here - http://www.velonews.co.uk/2010/01/03/endura-gridlock-waterproof-cycling-jacket/

Thanks!

I will be honest I dont have a clue what I need to look for in a cycling jacket hence why I'm asking for help!!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Depends what you're after. Something like this will keep you warm, but isn't 100% waterproof. Then there's this one, which is 100% waterproof but will be a bit sweaty, hence the pit zips. And this sort are a lightweight one, that you just pull on over other stuff, and it folds up small enough to stuff in a pocket or bag.

It really depends on the sort of riding you're likely to do. If it's commuting, you've got to go out if it's chucking it down, but leisure cycling is more being able to stay dry-ish during a brief shower - if it's a filthy day you'd probably not have gone out in the first place!!! Or maybe that's just me...

Coco

bottombracket said:
Hi sophi_star

That's the one I use for commuting. Survived a Glasgow Summer and -9 in the winter. Great jacket and it comes in red which (IMHO) looks better than the yellow jackets but just as hi-viz.

bottombracket

sophi,
Personally, I actually have 3 cycling jackets on the go at the moment...

Something similar to the Gridlock mentioned above - for commuting and going to the pub.

A lightweight Goretex, possibly similar to steve52, for long rides (£150 :smile:

A heavyweight Endura Stealth for sub zero long rides (£160 :biggrin:)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Another option is to keep your eyes out for the Aldi cycling stuff, which should be in fairly soon.

Their jackets (£<20 ?) are not brilliant but are a cheap introduction to what is available and can help you to understand more of the pros and cons of the different types/prices.

Do you have a Decathlon anywhere near ? Also worth a look.

Tynan

Veteran
the altura nightvision ois a best seller, very well made (bar some dodgy zip tabs, and very hi viz and water/weather proof

I find it too warm in anything other than freezing weather although I ride hot on a fairly short commute, very good value for £50ish

bottombracket

Sad to say, this year, Altura changed their range and prices...

Their Nightvision jacket is now £65 (still a good jacket).

Last years Nevis had all the features of the Endura Gridlock, this year it no longer has vents and it's lost its credit card pocket.
Still kept the £50 price tag the same tho'... ;)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Foska jackets are good. (www.foska.com) The winter training ones are warm and whilst not waterproof, even when wet keep you warm. They are very well made and at the moment some are in a sale (£55-60). I prefer these over totally waterproof jackets as I find waterproof ones make you sweat too much and you end up getting just as wet fom the sweat. Also being realistic there are not many times when a totally waterproof one is needed (and I can say that even though I am from rainy Manchester and commute every day).
If you want a waterproof one, theirs one is also in the sale (£50).

lowrider73

Sad to say, this year, Altura changed their range and prices...

Their Nightvision jacket is now £65 (still a good jacket).

Last years Nevis had all the features of the Endura Gridlock, this year it no longer has vents and it's lost its credit card pocket.
Still kept the £50 price tag the same tho'... ;)
I have just purchased a new Altura Nevis and had noticed that the reflective piping and the side vents are omitted. In place is a chest pocket and the the jacket seems a little thinner than the old Nevis. Some things never stay the same....
sad.gif

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a night vision (men's one as women's too short) and it is good and very bright, but pretty warm.

Can get the women's in yellow for under £50 (size 14 or below) http://www.cyclesurg...p-product/10047

As other's have said, it depends whether you want windproof, warm, waterproof. If just looking for something light for evening rides (like me), I thought this looked decent for £35 (I reckon you could find cheaper if you hunt too) http://www.milletspo...ndproof-jacket/

I'd wander down to your local bike shop and see what they have

Top Bottom