Cycle model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Dimples 6890

Regular
That's a Claud Butler Cape Wrath from after they closed their factory in Britain and became an importer of Chinese made bikes. £99.99 new at DW Sports around 2003ish.

Here's the thing though - the aftermarket bits would have easily cost you more than £50 new, and it's had little use. So you weren't ripped off! If you're using it, £140 is a perfectly fair price for a bike that will give you many years of reliable transport. I'd buy it if I needed a mountain bike.

Ive spent about £100 on the upgrade, new wheel, chainset and rear cogs. Rear derailleur broke around same time too. Worth it to make it my ride.

Well, there you go. £240 is maybe five tanks of petrol for a car? Utter bargain.

OP
OP
D

Dimples 6890

Regular
The frame changed almost every year, and there were several differnt CWs with different frames and spec levels in the same year on some model years.

It's a Cape Wrath.

OK, good to know, thanks. I'll hunt to see if I can find my particular one.

OP
OP
D

Dimples 6890

Regular
They are still making them today, Wrath XC for £699. I'll check out the link, cheers

Drago

Legendary Member
The later ones from about 2009 onwards are a different beast. Hydroformed 7005 frames from a reputable source in Taiwan, Deore geartrain, hydro stoppers, a general attempt to make a more serious machine. The only thing these later models have in common ie the name,

OP
OP
D

Dimples 6890

Regular
The later ones from about 2009 onwards are a different beast. Hydroformed 7005 frames from a reputable source in Taiwan, Deore geartrain, hydro stoppers, a general attempt to make a more serious machine. The only thing these later models have in common ie the name,

Of course, it's all about getting money from servicing these days

Top Bottom