Cycle path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

If someone cuts a hedge there is always going to be a period where the cuttings are going to be on the ground whilst something to clear them up is sought and it's almost certain that not every cutting is collected so whilst one party may be responsible for clippings on the path any judge is likely see the other party as being irresponsible by not taking adequate precautions like having a puncture kit and a spare inner tube with them, the very basics of cycling any distance beyond what is readily walkable.
Maybe you are correct Mike just think if I had done something daft like that the gates of hell would have opened.

OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

no I wouldn't, but im not the one who said I don't give up at the first hurdle,
no i am not bored in the slightest, i find your little wind up amusing.
Unfortunately I don't find you amusing .

icowden

Veteran
I not the sort of person who gives up at the first hurdle.
I'm not sure that anyone has suggested that you are. Just bear in mind that a small claim is your only real redress, and that it will likely only be a moral victory. There is also a risk that if it goes to court and the judge decides that your claim is frivolous that you could be ordered to compensate the farmer for attending (£90). So worst case is it will have cost you £140 or thereabouts.

Best case is that you will have an outlay of £25 which you may get back with your £10-£15 that you are presumably claiming, and that the farmer just pays you off. Most likely case is that you will have to spend some time going to court, outlay a further £25.

It seems like an awful lot of hassle for a puncture, and there is a degree of risk that you will lose and be further out of pocket.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

I'm not sure that anyone has suggested that you are. Just bear in mind that a small claim is your only real redress, and that it will likely only be a moral victory. There is also a risk that if it goes to court and the judge decides that your claim is frivolous that you could be ordered to compensate the farmer for attending (£90). So worst case is it will have cost you £140 or thereabouts.

Best case is that you will have an outlay of £25 which you may get back with your £10-£15 that you are presumably claiming, and that the farmer just pays you off. Most likely case is that you will have to spend some time going to court, outlay a further £25.

It seems like an awful lot of hassle for a puncture, and there is a degree of risk that you will lose and be further out of pocket.
Thanks you are probably right just erks me.

boydj

Legendary Member

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Is this not just a tiny bit elitist? I am not sure that you can infer that a cyclist with a new bike has all the gear and no idea. Comments like that are unlikely to get new people cycling, everyone has to start somewhere. After all, I would love to see you by the side of the road fixing a problem with modern STIs or tubeless.

Elitist, are you on a wind up? Anyone who buys a brand new bike and takes it out on the road with no idea how to connect a bicycle pump to a valve or do a puncture repair, quite frankly ought to stay indoors, because they are clearly too clueless to survive in the real world. What are you suggesting, that cyclists need to do some sort of maintenance course at their local college before they can be expected to know how to fix a tyre?
Tubeless is an easy one for me; I've got no intention of using tubeless, and if it did use them, I would carry a tube. If I had an STI go wrong (again I have absolutely no intention of adopting them), I would bodge it to get home on by adjusting my limit screw on the rear mech so it gave me one middling ratio that was at least better than walking. Most things can be bodged in an emergency if you carry a few basic tools and have some common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom