Cycle path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

🚴🚴🚴🚴🚴🚴🚴

Drago

Legendary Member
Elitist, are you on a wind up? Anyone who buys a brand new bike and takes it out on the road with no idea how to connect a bicycle pump to a valve or do a puncture repair, quite frankly ought to stay indoors, because they are clearly too clueless to survive in the real world. What are you suggesting, that cyclists need to do some sort of maintenance course at their local college before they can be expected to know how to fix a tyre?
Tubeless is an easy one for me; I've got no intention of using tubeless, and if it did use them, I would carry a tube. If I had an STI go wrong (again I have absolutely no intention of adopting them), I would bodge it to get home on by adjusting my limit screw on the rear mech so it gave me one middling ratio that was at least better than walking. Most things can be bodged in an emergency if you carry a few basic tools and have some common sense.
To be fair, checking lights and levels is now part of the driving test. Its surely not unreasonable for other road users to be similarly educated as Mr John suggests?

Reactions: C R

boydj

Legendary Member
Elitist, are you on a wind up? Anyone who buys a brand new bike and takes it out on the road with no idea how to connect a bicycle pump to a valve or do a puncture repair, quite frankly ought to stay indoors, because they are clearly too clueless to survive in the real world.............................

While I have some sympathy with this point of view, I'd be surprised if most of us on here have not learned a few lessons the hard way after taking up cycling. How many, for instance, have been stuck with a broken chain and no chain tool or quick link? I've twice had to sort out other people's chains on club runs - and that's with experienced cyclists. If you don't know what can go wrong, you can't be prepared.

That being said, I've not been too gentle on Wyn, but not so much on his lack of preparedness, more for his expectation that country lanes will always be maintained in pristine condition. He's learned punctures are an ever-present danger and he needs to be better prepared to deal with problems. I just hope that this problem does not put him off cycling and he develops a bit more resilience for the future to get some good use out of his new bike.

carpenter

Über Member
Amazing number of responses on this thread (bloody hell, more appearing as I write this!), some very interesting views, and advice.

So, one of my main routes is a windy road, hedges both sides for most of it and passing places (flattened muddy banks).
I tend to use this route as the alternative to a rat run from Manningtree station - a friend has recently had to move out of her house,on the A137, as a racer boy in a BMW 5 series took out a telegraph pole, transit van and part of the property in a collision (no other car involved, half way through a village in a 30mph zone :ohmy:).
Be patient - just want to set the scene (all true by the way).

Apparently, if I want to be considered a proper cyclist, I should avoid the flailed branches/hawthorn.black thorn on a two mile stretch of this safer route by looking ahead and cycling in the middle of the lane (blind bends, restricted view, passing points, mad drivers and all :ohmy:).

Surely, if landowners have to flail hedges (once every three years I understand) it can't be beyond the wit of contractors/farmers/designers to come up with a device attached to the tractor that picks up the bits?

PS; not having go at BMW drivers, I use one (and I understand that had the racer not been driving a newish model 5 series, he would have died on impact :sad:)

It's light relief from the Brexit threads.

I see...
:wacko:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Elitist, are you on a wind up? Anyone who buys a brand new bike and takes it out on the road with no idea how to connect a bicycle pump to a valve or do a puncture repair, quite frankly ought to stay indoors, because they are clearly too clueless to survive in the real world. What are you suggesting, that cyclists need to do some sort of maintenance course at their local college before they can be expected to know how to fix a tyre? ........

You just did It again. Plenty of people go out with no idea how to fix a puncture, worse case they walk home, it is not the end of the world . The last thing they need is being criticised by you.

BTW, there is no way you will be able to adjust to the middle of the cassette just with limit screws. With an externally routed cable you can either tie a knot in the cable at a cable stop or clamp at A bottle cage bolt.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
To be fair, checking lights and levels is now part of the driving test. Its surely not unreasonable for other road users to be similarly educated as Mr John suggests?
As they should be in a lethal weapon. Although let’s be honest, how many drivers ever open the bonnet.

I got a puncture on the St Asaph cycle path needed new tube plus slime and my wife coming to get me home a farmer had cut the hedge and left the cuttings covering the path council say that they are not responsible what can I do please.

I had this when I started cycle commuting in Somerset in my 20's: typically I started at the beginning of hedge trimming season, so I averaged a puncture a day. After a while I got some tape from h*lf*rds that went between the inner tube and tyre which reduced it to one a year or so.

Then I moved to Germany:

2020_01_17_Tübingen_one_way_10.JPG

No hedges.

That may have been considered a rather drastic solution though.

OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

You just did It again. Plenty of people go out with no idea how to fix a puncture, worse case they walk home, it is not the end of the world . The last thing they need is being criticised by you.

BTW, there is no way you will be able to adjust to the middle of the cassette just with limit screws. With an externally routed cable you can either tie a knot in the cable at a cable stop or clamp at A bottle cage bolt.
I will probably get a Tannus Armour fitted on the rear you can ride home on a flat then double ended tube for the front sorted

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I will probably get a Tannus Armour fitted on the rear you can ride home on a flat then double ended tube for the front sorted

Why not just carry the right tools for the job and fix the damn thing out on the road if you get a puncture? You seem to have an aversion to getting your hands dirty, and could have repaired ten punctures in the time it's taken you to post all your argumentative replies on this thread. Cycling and punctures go together, they are a fact of life. All sorts of puncture-causing debris finds it's way on to the road surface, and as a cyclist you have to deal with this reality, not how you might like it to be. The last flat I had wasn't even caused by anything penetrating the tyre externally either; a tiny piece of sharp grit inside the tyre between the tube and the rim tape put a pinhole in the tube. It must have got in when the bike was stood for a long time and the tyres went flat, so came unsealed from the rims.
I don't like getting punctures, they are a ride-spoiler, so I try to stack the odds in my favour. Firstly I look where I am going and try to avoid riding over anything that is an obvious risk, like patches of glass fragments. To us urban riders they are just as much of a nuisance as hedge thorns are to rural cyclists, except the broken glass season lasts 12 months a year. The bikes I do longer rides on are fitted with Schwalbe Marathons to minimise the risk. So far, I've managed to clock up a lot of puncture-free miles on Schwalbes, but I'm not complacent and don't expect anyone to drop everything and come running to pick me up if I do get one, so carry the means to repair a puncture if I have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom