Cycle Security Upset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
If what you use for securing and alarming your cycle, causes either injury or upset to someone trying to remove it. Should you be blamed?

"Brown trouser" moment, no injury, when the alarm was set off. Kranks Alarm in use at home. He wasn't expecting an alarm to be in use.

This caused him to get his arm jammed slightly in the frame. Chain runs through both parts, then into a ground anchor.

I'm assuming he was trying to work out where the chain ran, when he set the alarm off.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If what you use for securing and alarming your cycle, causes either injury or upset to someone trying to remove it. Should you be blamed?

"Brown trouser" moment, no injury, when the alarm was set off. Kranks Alarm in use at home. He wasn't expecting an alarm to be in use.

This caused him to get his arm jammed slightly in the frame. Chain runs through both parts, then into a ground anchor.

I'm assuming he was trying to work out where the chain ran, when he set the alarm off.
Result :becool: I hope the bloke hurt himself :laugh: :thumbsup:

32b6ab1c8733a67713b0f10889b5c897_original.gif

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes you will be blamed. Just the same as you would if you put glass on top if your garden wall or razor wire behind your fence.

Should you be blamed?

Who cares? There is nothing we can do about it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Provided you haven't done it with 'intent', or mens rea, to cause injury, then no. You have a reasonable duty of care to anyone, you must not leave mains wires exposed or set violent man traps, that type of thing, but beyond that you're entitled to take measures to secure and protect your property. If Johnny Scumbag tears off his arm because he recoils in shock at an alarm going off then that's his problem. Theoretically, he'd be liable for the cost of cleaning up the blood.

Arguably that would put any alarm as a liability

The Krank is simply a loud audible alarm, no different in practice than any siren or other signal

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Arguably that would put any alarm as a liability

The Krank is simply a loud audible alarm, no different in practice than any siren or other signal

A brown trouser version. :laugh:

I could be seriously tempted, but either I or the family would set it off more than once. :wacko: Could you imagine the black eye I'd get if the missus or kids had set it off.

A brown trouser version. :laugh:

I could be seriously tempted, but either I or the family would set it off more than once. :wacko: Could you imagine the black eye I'd get if the missus or kids had set it off.

Put the kids in the shed on a rota.......

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Well done !! Was this last night ?
Earlier this week. Only the second time it's gone off and I can't find the replacements.

If you picture a cable lock/chain running through the rear triangle, coming out over the rear wheel, in the picture above. His hand would have been in there, when he set it off.(Recumbents have odd frames).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Earlier this week. Only the second time it's gone off and I can't find the replacements.

If you picture a cable lock/chain running through the rear triangle, coming out over the rear wheel, in the picture above. His hand would have been in there, when he set it off.(Recumbents have odd frames).

There seems to be a few replacement shells if you just google it. I assume you just pull the sprung lever back and pin it locked before you start moving the bikes.

I bet he pooped himself. Soo funny. At least it would alert you to an attempted theft.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
There seems to be a few replacement shells if you just google it. I assume you just pull the sprung lever back and pin it locked before you start moving the bikes.

I bet he pooped himself. Soo funny. At least it would alert you to an attempted theft.
Get everything back in place, then re-arm the alarm. Only I can't find the blanks, so I've to get some more.

So long as you remember what it is, you'll know what's going on.

Top Bottom