Cycle Security Upset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, you will be liable for any injuries that result from the use of a booby trap. It's crazy to think I know, particularly if the scoundrel if a thief. But it's the law.
I think it's a good law. I would not want to live in a country where it was legal to set up mantraps. And if you think it's ok to maim people for theft, then let's add torture to the legal code and do it properly. That's ignoring the part where your trap may hurt someone who wasn't attempting theft.

(doesn't apply to the situation that @classic33 describes)

stephec

Legendary Member
It's not a booby trap, the Krank is an audible alarm.

If the thief triggered a PIR sensor that set off a burglar alarm would anyone say that the home owner should be liable for any injuries resulting from surprising Johnny scumbag?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, you will be liable for any injuries that result from the use of a booby trap. It's crazy to think I know, particularly if the scoundrel if a thief. But it's the law.

Most would rather a beloved bike be stolen, than end up being taken to court and paying tens of thousands in compensation to the scum that hurt himself on your property. Just get a sufficient lock, anchor and alarm system and hope for the best.

Funny though. Rig up a camera for next time :laugh:
I have the locks, chains and ground anchor. All of which were in use at the time. Along with the alarm.

If I wanted to rig a booby trap, it would be easy enough do. Easier than fitting the ground anchor, at least.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Trick is to ensure any alarm kills first time, and be friendly with the local pie shop to dispose of the body.

Even that is too good for bike thieves.
Know two local pig farmers, if I went down that route.

The alarm is there to let me know first, then let others know my property is protected. I doubt he'll be telling his mates exactly what happenned, but he knows it not as easy as he first thought.

As for what he'd have done had he got away with it, selling or even just using it wouldn't have been easy.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Trick is to ensure any alarm kills first time, and be friendly with the local pie shop to dispose of the body.

sweeneytodd-splsh.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yes you will be blamed. Just the same as you would if you put glass on top if your garden wall or razor wire behind your fence.

Should you be blamed?

Who cares? There is nothing we can do about it.
That's not totally true. So long as the barbed wire is a statutory distance from the pathway, it is allowed. At least that's what I learnt from doing the same at my fathers house after his barn was repeatedly burgled.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Perhaps rig the alarm to the handbrake of your hgv.

Then, when that rolls over the theif, you will be let off for sure.

Especially if you are fortunate enough for the theif to actually be on the bike when it happens.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Perhaps rig the alarm to the handbrake of your hgv.

Then, when that rolls over the theif, you will be let off for sure.

Especially if you are fortunate enough for the theif to actually be on the bike when it happens.
Only one problem with that plan.

I can't drive, so no HGV. Neighbour does, but he drive is flat gravel. She can get the HGV though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Plod won't give advice on stuff beyond locks, etc, because with barbed wire and even the positioning of cctv cameras you get into the realms of planning law which is civil.

Drago

Legendary Member
He'd be no more to blame than if he'd heard a noise, switched the light on and Johnny Scumbag pulled away in surprise and hurt himself.

Audible alarms aren't deemed to be a reckless means of protecting property, there's no mens rea to cause harm, no crime.

Saddam the Thief could being a civil action, but then our hero could bring one of his own for trespass by way of reply.

Top Bottom