Cycle Security Upset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
An ex-policeman here doesn't agree.
He is entitled to his opinion.

But at a guess the injured scrote would make a counter complaint which would end up with the original complaint being dismissed as well. It does happen.

Its all speculation.

U

User482

But at a guess the injured scrote would make a counter complaint which would end up with the original complaint being dismissed as well. It does happen.

Its all speculation.
I give more weight to the views of somebody who is likely to have dealt with similar situations. That's all.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member

Its all speculation.
Entering onto private property, with intent. And then whilst on interfering with a vehicle, setting/tripping an alarm protecting it, gets suprised(brown trouser moment) and I'm liable!

I'll have the hosepipe ready should it happen again. Then I can wash him down then and there.

The sonic alarm is louder, at 150 db. Can be placed a lot closer to the ground anchor as well. But requires turning off.

@User9609, it used to be three foot from the road, then went metric.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Entering onto private property, with intent. And then whilst on interfering with a vehicle, setting/tripping an alarm protecting it, gets suprised(brown trouser moment) and I'm liable!

I'll have the hosepipe ready should it happen again. Then I can wash him down then and there.

The sonic alarm is louder, at 150 db. Can be placed a lot closer to the ground anchor as well. But requires turning off.

@User9609, it used to be three foot from the road, then went metric.

If your sonic alarm frightens Mr Skrote and he trips over with the shock and injures himself. The way the world is now, it wouldnt be a surprise if he took a case against you.

Its crazy. but thats the world we live in now.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What 'statutory distance'?

Sounds to me like some local plod giving their interpretation of the law...
I cant recall the distance but there was a measurement, something like 2m, from public access, like a footpath. Which meant my dad had a fence, then another fence with wire on top, slightly further in (the first fence being in existence already).

He was a local councillor so got his direction from the borough council.

It was over a decade ago though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm not sure I follow this thread.

OP has installed an alarm containing a shotgun cartridge that explodes and goes bang. It has gone bang. That much is clear.

OP also knows/speculates that: There was an intruder, the intruder got their "arm jammed slightly" in the frame. The intruder a "brown trouser moment"

No one has taken or has threatened to take any legal action or has raised any kind of complaint.

OP is unsure whether the device is legal, so started this thread.

Answers so far: Yes, No, Maybe.

My theory is that a large spider set the alarm off. Spiders do not have eardrums, indeed they do not have ears, but they do have sensory hairs that can detect sound. If I was the OP I would be very afraid of arachnid revenge attacks.

As an aside, I once cycled past a car with a proximity alarm* set. I entered into it's "personal space" and was blasted with a terrifying noise, which caused me to swerve into traffic. Luckily there wasn't actually any traffic, but if I'd been in a collision, I would have sued the owner.

It took all my will power not to go back and key 3 panels of the car.

*Proximity alarms with reasonably common in Australia in the 90s. I don't know if they made an impact in the UK where it's pretty hard to keep a metre away from a car at the best of times.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
There is no 'statutory distance'. The Highways Act 1980 contains a clause regarding barbed wire but sets no specific distance and contains no provision for such a distance to be set by subordinate legislation.
Oh hang on, this just in.
"Section 164 of the Highways Act 1980 says that barbed wire on land adjoining a public highway must not cause a nuisance to humans or animals using the highway. Anything placed below 2.4 metres high will usually be deemed to be causing a nuisance and the local authority can issue a notice demanding its removal"

I've checked 164 and whilst it seems to support the nuisance issue I cant see the 2.4m thing.

Maybe my dad did what he did to cover all the bases...he certainly had warning signs up.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That was my point: you talked about facts when even two ex police can't agree...
policemen are a bit like golfers.

We all have our own slant on the rules. It is called the "Ways and means Act". The most used piece of legislation in police forces all over the world.

Top Bottom