Cycle Security Upset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Tin Pot

Guru
Sadly you will be blamed, booby trapping your car is a crime.

Tom Sharpe's description of a police dog urinating on a car that was wired up to the mains (as protection) is indelibly etched into my neural pathways.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Sadly you will be blamed, booby trapping your car is a crime.

Tom Sharpe's description of a police dog urinating on a car that was wired up to the mains (as protection) is indelibly etched into my neural pathways.
Injury caused by catching the arm in the frame. When the alarm went off/was tripped, he panickied. He was already interfering with it, on private property at a time that most would consider an odd hour to be out and and about someone else's house. Especially the back, out of view of the road.

Booby trapped, I've it facing down.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I dont know. Maybe because they put warning signs up all over the fences.
Only that the premises are either alarmed or covered/monitered by security. Industrial estate I walk past has mains electric fencing bordering a public footpath, with no warning signs.

He was right to enter private property, interfere with a vehicle(with the intention of theft) and then get upset when he set the alarm off then?

@classic33 just to be clear: did someone break into your home and try to steal your bike, while you were there?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Only that the premises are either alarmed or covered/monitered by security. Industrial estate I walk past has mains electric fencing bordering a public footpath, with no warning signs.

He was right to enter private property, interfere with a vehicle(with the intention of theft) and then get upset when he set the alarm off then?
You are not asking the right question. It makes no difference if I think you should be blamed because in this case my opinion is worthless.

The fact is that you would be blamed.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
You are not asking the right question. It makes no difference if I think you should be blamed because in this case my opinion is worthless.

The fact is that you would be blamed.
Your post related to perimeter security. He was within that, when he tripped the alarm. At a time of day no-one who had no right to be there, should have been about.

He had his arm through part of the frame, which is also where the chain ran, when the alarm was tripped. He'd tried moving it for this to happen.

As for the cleaning, and anything else required, I doubt he'd admit to it.

Yes, you will be liable for any injuries that result from the use of a booby trap. It's crazy to think I know, particularly if the scoundrel if a thief. But it's the law.

Most would rather a beloved bike be stolen, than end up being taken to court and paying tens of thousands in compensation to the scum that hurt himself on your property. Just get a sufficient lock, anchor and alarm system and hope for the best.

Funny though. Rig up a camera for next time :laugh:

Top Bottom