Cycle Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
4976970566_5ab9939225.jpg

I look down on roadies from my Penny Farthing!

In regard to snobby anythings, I like the Ernest Hemmingway quote,

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self."

I hate snobs.
Great quote :smile:. Yes, snobs like racists are basically stupid. Also often actually rather insecure unless they can manage their social circle well enough to be akways surrounded by similar types/oiks.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Two things:
1. I don't see how the clip posted illustrates cycling snobs. It shows rubbish driving and poor road sense for sure but no snobbery.
2. It's not London. I think it's Perth, Western Australia.
Yes, it's outer northern suburbs of Perth, and it's also more than 3 years old.

I get a few downcast/sympathetic looks, because I choose to ride Ribbles (I have 3)
'Ditto', when I mention my car, from the unthinking/badge-snobs, as I have a Skoda Octavia estate

I think as very equal to the opposition/built to same standards/cheaper

With the Octavia, this is illustrated by friends desire for a new car
A while ago, he was wanting an Audi A4 estate, but the 'All-Road' as their 4x4 derivative is called, to tow his BWSOW
At the time, the price wasn't available for the new model
I suggested a Scout (same 4x4 system), as used by many Ambulance Trusts as Fast Response Cars

He (&, more so, his wife) baulked at the very idea
A search revealed that the Audi A4 estates started at about £27,000 for the 1.2 petrol front-drive (bog-basic model)
£26,500 would put him in a 2.0Tdi/6-speed 'box (150BHP) Octavia Scout

Later on another search revealed a price for an equivilant (mechanically) All-Road..... about £37,000:wacko:
All that money, for 'four rings', & free coffee, at the dealers

These figures are from memory, not a search now
He saw sense in the end, & now is happily ensconced in a Scout, & his wife???, she pootles about in a Fabia

My missionary zeal worked

Planet X also feature highly on my list

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Am going for a ride this afternoon, Anyone with a Cervelo, Pinnerello or Colnago are welcome to join me. No other makes welcome, Oh and they must be carbon with Di2, No mechanicl gear change, :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
An amusing exchange with someone I met on a ride some time ago. We were discussing bikes and he noticed that I had an ugly modern stem on my steel bike, not a nice shapely swan necked quill stem. He asked if I was using an adapter. "Oh no" I said "It's a modern frame - it has a threadless headset. It's that modern - it's got carbon forks". There was a gasp and a moment of dismay when he realised that what he'd taken at first glance to be a proper bike was, in fact, a horrible modern forgery. I could sense that in silent horror he started noticing other things, the non-horizontality of the top tube and so on. He recovered well enough, but I could sense his intense disappointment, and his urgent desire to go and talk to someone else.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
'four rings'

I thought an Audi had five zeros, four on the radiator grill and one on the driver's seat.

Tim Hall

An amusing exchange with someone I met on a ride some time ago. We were discussing bikes and he noticed that I had an ugly modern stem on my steel bike, not a nice shapely swan necked quill stem. He asked if I was using an adapter. "Oh no" I said "It's a modern frame - it has a threadless headset. It's that modern - it's got carbon forks". There was a gasp and a moment of dismay when he realised that what he'd taken at first glance to be a proper bike was, in fact, a horrible modern forgery. I could sense that in silent horror he started noticing other things, the non-horizontality of the top tube and so on. He recovered well enough, but I could sense his intense disappointment, and his urgent desire to go and talk to someone else.
I got talking to a bloke on the commercial vehicles run, who was riding a penny farthing. I noted it was fitted with a modern threadless headset and quizzed him about it. 'I don't know anything about that stuff. I just ride it '

I get a few downcast/sympathetic looks, because I choose to ride Ribbles (I have 3)
'Ditto', when I mention my car, from the unthinking/badge-snobs, as I have a Skoda Octavia estate

A while ago, he was wanting an Audi A4 estate, but the 'All-Road' as their 4x4 derivative is called, to tow his BWSOW
I suggested a Scout (same 4x4 system), as used by many Ambulance Trusts as Fast Response Cars

A search revealed that the Audi A4 estates started at about £27,000 for the 1.2 petrol front-drive (bog-basic model)

Later on another search revealed a price for an equivilant (mechanically) All-Road..... about £37,000:wacko:

He saw sense in the end, & now is happily ensconced in a Scout, & his wife???, she pootles about in a Fabia

Ah, inverse snobbery. Still snobbery.

(and it would warm the cockles of Skoda marketings heart to know how well you have absorbed their advertising message from the 00s)

Skoda actually has a great tradition. Not for nowt were the Nazis keen to get hold of their factory.

I personally always liked their older somewhat individual styling.

The czech car industry produced some great looking cars - one I can never remember the name of sadly - a sort of 50s space car looking thing.

(I used to drive an Audi by the way - but I didn't pay for it or its expensive servicing - I wouldn't have done either - nice car as it was)

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Two things:
1. I don't see how the clip posted illustrates cycling snobs. It shows rubbish driving and poor road sense for sure but no snobbery.
2. It's not London. I think it's Perth, Western Australia.

My mistake, YouTube skipped to this vid, the one I meant to post I have now edited my post with.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Skoda actually has a great tradition. Not for nowt were the Nazis keen to get hold of their factory.

I personally always liked their older somewhat individual styling.

The czech car industry produced some great looking cars - one I can never remember the name of sadly - a sort of 50s space car looking thing.

(I used to drive an Audi by the way - but I didn't pay for it or its expensive servicing - I wouldn't have done either - nice car as it was)
The 130 RS,

View: https://youtu.be/Nu_4yWkNtYQ

Skip to 7mins to see it being driven

:smile:

I think the car I was thinking of was a Tatra - saw one once parked in the street in communist era Prague.

Google or bing image Tatra car and you will see some amazing looking creations.

Top Bottom