Cycle Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been cycling for six months on and off now and on Thursday I cycled 50 miles for the first time and another 40 today. Today I noticed a few people on road bikes giving me dirty looks because I don't ride a road bike but a hybrid.

Yeah there are lots of them :whistle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, well done on the 50 @CycleD. The other night on my commute home, uphill, I was passed by another roadie. I said "hello mate" and he just ignored me.

I upped the pace (just because I realised I was being lazy) and kept the distance between us, gained, and eventually overtook. I stayed in front of him for the next few miles at a good pace then turned off home. On the way past, he gave me a wave and I waved back.

Next day on Strava there is a comment from this guy saying "thanks for the tow."

So, none of it really matters, we all ride, we're all human.
I'd have 'wheelsucked' him for a while then passed on a downhill and pulled away saying "Thanks for the tow" as I went past. :dance:

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Strange how a few more bends in the handlebar can give some people a superiority complex. I'm a roadie by the way, I just prefer riding them. I also need a light bike as I'm lazy and unfit.

41470_1553319424_1697058_n.jpg

what? Take that hybrid back to Brighthouse my good man, and purchase a ruddy road bike!

How can you be certain they were giving you 'dirty looks'..?? I doubt if they could give a sh1t what you ride. I certainly couldn't.
some roadies can be snobby.
I know this sounds like a stereotype (i'm not usually prone to such things on the north/south issue) but I do genuinely have the impression that very much less so up north.

I thought that. I started cycling on a hybrid and noticed cycle snobbery. But they're the same now I'm on a racer.

Some cyclists think they're above everyone else and don't give the customary nod. Others I think are so engrossed in achieving a goal, they don't notice you.

As Vickster said, don't sweat it. Just enjoy the 'camaraderie' from those who do. I nod to everyone, on anything! Even been known to nod to horses!
But do they nod back? Or is it just the nodding donkeys who give you the time of day?

Well done on the 50. Just enjoy riding your bike. I smile and nod to one and all, I also acknowledge cars who wait until there is room to pass. Life is too short to worry.
yes, always acknowledge good drivers.
In my experience in London there are as many tosspot cyclists as vehicle drivers. For behind each handlebar/steering wheel sits a human.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
@CycleD congrats on the 50. I've got all the roadie gear but still no idea, so if I look like I'm sneering, I'm not, honestly, I'm just quietly dying inside as I struggle to get past the 12mph mark. ^_^

ETA: I started out on a clunky old MTB but didn't notice anyone else's glances as I was enjoying myself too much. Same when I upgraded to a hybrid (miles faster). Same when I got an expensive carbon road bike (which is lovely to ride but is still limited by the engine driving it ;)).

Top Bottom