Cycle storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

historyman

I've now got high ceilings in the hall & am thinking of stringing up my bike to get it out the way (& make it look cool, like the biplanes hung in the Imperial War Museum).
Thinking about it, the 4 key things seem to be:
- it must hold fast
- it must be easy to mount, raise and lower
- musn't scratch the bike
- musn't scrape the walls

Anyone know of a GOOD pulley system?

domtyler

Über Member
You could have some good fun constructing a bespoke system yourself if you are that way inclined.

Kind of like that artist who drew those amazing home made contraptions for waking a person up with a piece of toast and a cup of tea.

OP
OP
H

historyman

I reckon I could wake a person up just with a cup of tea, no need of any contraption or even a piece of toast!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Lidl sometimes sell a pulley system when they do their bike specials. There's apparently one coming up on the 21st, but I don't know if the pulley's on the list.

I bought one over two years ago and I've yet to get around to installing it, so I've no idea how good it is; perhaps someone who can will be along shortly.

Mr Pig

goo_mason said:
Lidl sometimes sell a pulley system when they do their bike specials.

Yes, it costs about five pounds, which is a heck of a lot less than it would cost you for the bits. It's a bit crap but it does work, kind of. What I would say is that you'd be better replacing the hooks that are supposed to hook under the seat and handlebars with something better, straps maybe. They're not very secure and the bike can swing about quite a bit as you lift it.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
How about a clothes pulley, with the middle 2 bars removed and a piece of wood to put across under the saddle ? You could also hang your wet cycling clothes to dry as a bonus. ;)

Should be able to do that for about, what - £80 ? :ohmy::eek::eek:

:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I think historyman is looking for one of these...

For other storage solutions try here...

wafflycat

goo_mason said:
Lidl sometimes sell a pulley system when they do their bike specials. There's apparently one coming up on the 21st, but I don't know if the pulley's on the list.

I bought one over two years ago and I've yet to get around to installing it, so I've no idea how good it is; perhaps someone who can will be along shortly.

No pulley system this time (and yes, they are fine to use). This time it's a basic wall-mounted bike rack to hold up to two bikes

Top Bottom