Cycle to Work -New Halfords Scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damj

I've had a couple of bikes through the scheme now, one current. wasn't aware of the new small print. Tbh I didn't have to pay anything last time, not expecting to this time either. I wonder if this might impact if I was to get a new bike when this ones paid off in 8 months?

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure it's properly insured. Isn't that a pain if you want to sell it on? Who on earth keeps a bike for 4-5 years ;)

Personally I would prefer to just pay it off in the 12 months even if the payments are a little higher (I'm self employed now so it doesn't apply, but I had Halfords C2W bikes from version 1.0 of the scheme, before it changed to version 2.0)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Isn't that the way the Cyclescheme operated - 12 months salary sacrifice, a nominal sum (5-7% of the value?) to cover a further 3 years' 'hire' from them then the bike is yours.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Who on earth keeps a bike for 4-5 years ;)
Ahem, a1975 Dawes Galaxy bought when 1 year old.
20151002_174843.jpg

wisdom

Guru
I have to say all my bikes are over 5 yrs old bar one which is now 3.
They are all in belting Nick so I dont need to change them however there is always room for a +1
Also the commuter bike is used everyday.It clocked up 4500 miles last year.

You always had and still do have the option to return at end of hire period, pay the fair value to take ownership at year 1 or extend it for a further 5 years (6year hire).

It is just the way they ‘sell’ the package to the company signing up.

Personally I am happy with the 6 year thing as I got the tax and NI savings and the sale prices honoured so ended up saving lots of money had I bought the items as and when through out the year.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My company used to charge your £30 at the end to keep it , the rest of the final value was classed as a taxable benefit so a £250 final fee was £50 ,( dont quote me exact figures) which you paid over the year .

Slick

Guru
My company used to charge your £30 at the end to keep it , the rest of the final value was classed as a taxable benefit so a £250 final fee was £50 ,( dont quote me exact figures) which you paid over the year .
I think different firms charged different amounts and was one of the main reasons I always gave it a body swerve as the final amount wasn't made clear until the hire period came to an end and I'm a naturally suspicious person. We have a new provider who spelled it out at the outset which is why I signed up for my second voucher this year.

cyberknight

I think different firms charged different amounts and was one of the main reasons I always gave it a body swerve as the final amount wasn't made clear until the hire period came to an end and I'm a naturally suspicious person. We have a new provider who spelled it out at the outset which is why I signed up for my second voucher this year.
Its the only way Mrs CK would let me buy a bike , although she doesnt know what the bike cost :whistle:, lets just say full amount .

cyberknight

Make sure it's properly insured. Isn't that a pain if you want to sell it on? Who on earth keeps a bike for 4-5 years ;)

Personally I would prefer to just pay it off in the 12 months even if the payments are a little higher (I'm self employed now so it doesn't apply, but I had Halfords C2W bikes from version 1.0 of the scheme, before it changed to version 2.0)
I forget you dont so maintenance, jsut buy a new one when it gets mucky :smile:

Top Bottom