Cyclemeter or Strava?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marc D

Hi, I am looking for some help.

I have only really been cycling now for a good month or so and to date I have been using Cyclemeter to record my routes and time. However, the more I read on cycling forums, I see that keen cyclists appear to use Strava. As Strava charges a subscription fee, I was wondering what people's thoughts were on it I.e. Is it better than Cyclemeter? And is it worth the subscription?

Thanks

Marc

Strava is free, you should be able to export a tcx or gpx file from Cyclemeter and upload that if you wish, the major strong point about strava are segment times, other sites do this, I know rwgps does, but strava does excel at it (sort of), where by you can see how you compare with those around you, or just to see your own personal records, a bit like this
upload_2015-3-29_22-30-47.png

This the segment, elevation gained ect.. and my top ten times, the table could be those you follow, so people of the same speeds is what I did when i started I followed them on strava, gives you a bit more incentive then seeing yourself way down in a table you have no likely hood of getting near the top, (in my case anyway)
Same segment of those I follow
upload_2015-3-29_22-34-36.png

you can see I am 13 out of 46, not all those I follow have done it. The tables can be furthur filtered in this year this month week and today, a bit rudimentary but works.

Doobiesis

Über Member
I use Strava and have done for over a year. It's the best one for keeping your stats and they update it a lot with new things added.

I do subscribe mainly for the training you can do on it and it keeps a goal tally - that is of course until I complete the London 100 then I'll go back to the free one. I recently bought a Wahoo Blu and upload my stats to strava with no issues.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Strava is antisocial unlicensed racing and if you do use it, be careful with your privacy settings because there are reports of it being used to follow nice bikes home.

I just track on my phone and synch them to my computer for analysis.

Strava is antisocial unlicensed racing and if you do use it, be careful with your privacy settings because there are reports of it being used to follow nice bikes home.

I just track on my phone and synch them to my computer for analysis.
This could be said with any site, at least strava does provide a cordon around your home area. @Doobiesis your want to try rwgps for in depth analyse. Its draw back to its segments is they are not ordered on the free one, However for data, if you click on the segment it will show this

upload_2015-3-29_23-35-7.png

As you can see the data for the highlighted segment.

league table not as good as strava as not so many use it.
upload_2015-3-29_23-37-31.png

Clicking on a person will show their efforts, and a comparison of where you were quicker or not
this for my quickest two.

upload_2015-3-29_23-40-24.png

details
upload_2015-3-29_23-41-21.png

and a bit more detail of the last ride I did on that segment.

upload_2015-3-29_23-43-6.png

There is a little cursor that tracks along the graph lines giving more detailed info. Also drag across the graphs and it zooms in
This a short local loop.
upload_2015-3-29_23-58-33.png

upload_2015-3-29_23-58-33.png and this zoomed in on the hill upload_2015-3-30_0-0-10.png

The also have an app for phones, don't know what its like don't have a phone. Sorry its a bit graphical, but people seem to think strava is the be all and end all.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
....id you do use it, be careful with your privacy settings because there are reports of it being used to follow nice bikes home ......

Is this actually true, or just an 'urban myth'?
Can anyone provide a substantiated case where Strava has played a pivotal role in a bike theft?

mjr

Llanelli and Staffs police both warned about it a while ago http://road.cc/content/news/136239-police-warning-thieves-using-strava-target-expensive-bikes-wales http://outsidetimes.com/gear/strava-the-bike-thiefs-app-1407/

Yes, other sites are also vulnerable, but strava promotes racing, so posher bikes.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
The Police 'suspect' some thieves have been using Strava.
That's not quite substantial evidence that it has actually been used for criminal purposes. Correlation does not equal causation.
Facebook and Twitter along with other social media, would I 'suspect', be just as likely to be the culprit; if not more so.

Last edited:

mjr

Sure, whatever we post, the Strava apologists can poke holes in. It's not really been around long enough for it to feature in a bike thief's confession on the public record, has it? Bottom line: why would you want to publish your ride details by default, engage in its fakey-racing and hand over your personal data for free? There are better apps and analysis tools.

lee1980sim

I have a premium membership on endomondo at around £20 then use the free version of strava as endomondo gives me everything I need to know about my cycling but doesn't have segments (yet) and I like racing with myself (because I'm a child cleverly disguised as an adult)

lee1980sim

Strava is excellent.

As for fake racing and antisocial cycling - I think that's nonsense. Nothing wrong with wanting to track your progress and set yourself targets. If people are worried about security they can setup exclusion zones.
Or just put all their rides to private, it's so simple and child could do it (actually given its computer and app based a child could probably teach us a few things lol)

Top Bottom