Cycling a narrow lane, do you wait and let the Tractor pass ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I the only one that could hear the last blue tractor yelling 'wait for me'. :laugh:

Ah bless that little blue one at the back losing it's pals.

I've seen this phenomenon twice so far - once up in the hills in Wales and again in the hills of Cheshire. No idea where they come from or go to.

Do tractors migrate ? And yes I'd stop to watch.

Drago

Legendary Member
The rider handled that well, and most of the salt-of-the-earth farmer types gave a nod of thanks.

The road was wide enough that some less cautious riders would have carried on, but one slip and you end up under a tractor so not a terribly good idea.

The thread title should read 'Moderately sensible cyclist meets moderately polite tractor drivers and encounter passes without incident'.

Sharky

Guru
Compared with some of the Kent lanes, that was quite wide. You could easily have carried on, but it was such an interesting parade of tractors, that I would have been happy to wait.

Alex321

Veteran
Generally, yes, though that depends on how much space there is. I've even turned around and ridden back 100 yards to a gateway when I came across a tractor that really filled the road.

But in your case, while I would probably have stopped to watch, there was actually plenty of room to pass without stopping, unless the video is rather deceptive.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Was that a lot of tractors or just a half dozen taking a short cut through the field and coming back round again?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If I'm riding and going downhill or relatively flat I will pull over for a tractor or pretty much anything to pass.

The lanes round here are narrow, and you don't want to wobble into a brambly hedge.

If I'm tractorising I will nearly always pull over for a cyclist, unless I'm about to turn in.

I'm rarely in that much of a rush.

But the contractors are up against every minute.
From an economic, client, and weather POV.

My tractors are relatively modest by modern standards.

I agree the big beasts are wayy too big for most little lanes.

But farming has been mostly pushed that way, by many factors.

These guys look like they are on their way to, or from sort of old timers rally.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I would have stopped to watch them anyway. Now if they'd been powered by steam....Not so good if you're in a hurry though. Width of the road is hard to judge with a wide angle lens. Those guys were probably not in too much of a hurry -tractor rallyists probably so pretty relaxed.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I don't know if the road goes narrower ahead, but I would have carried on as at that point it seemed plenty wide enough. Plus, if it does narrow up even further, I cannot think of a better vehicle that can drive in the margins at the edge of the road.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There was a veteran tractor rally in Oban a few years ago with about 30 vehicles as I remember. On a wet Monday morning they set off in convoy in July or August {cannot now remember which] towards Crianlarich.
We had a hospital appointment in Glasgow and I gave 3 hours for a journey that would normally take me about 2 hours. Caught up with the idiots doing about 18mph at Connel. With heavy oncoming traffic and only one small space between tractors it was impossible to safely overtake. It took me nearly one hour to do a section which would normally take 10 minutes and saw some of the most dangerous driving ever. A touring coach nearly took out some oncoming vehicles at one point.
Nightmare of the most inconsiderate road behaviour I have ever seen. Somehow somebody must have got to them and forced them to pull over into a large car park at Dalmally to let normal traffic past.

Top Bottom