Cycling a narrow lane, do you wait and let the Tractor pass ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I would have stopped to watch them anyway. Now if they'd been powered by steam....Not so good if you're in a hurry though. Width of the road is hard to judge with a wide angle lens. Those guys were probably not in too much of a hurry -tractor rallyists probably so pretty relaxed.
Too b----dy relaxed. Don't ask how I know.😠

There was a veteran tractor rally in Oban a few years ago with about 30 vehicles as I remember. On a wet Monday morning they set off in convoy in July or August {cannot now remember which] towards Crianlarich.
We had a hospital appointment in Glasgow and I gave 3 hours for a journey that would normally take me about 2 hours. Caught up with the idiots doing about 18mph at Connel. With heavy oncoming traffic and only one small space between tractors it was impossible to safely overtake. It took me nearly one hour to do a section which would normally take 10 minutes and saw some of the most dangerous driving ever. A touring coach nearly took out some oncoming vehicles at one point.
Nightmare of the most inconsiderate road behaviour I have ever seen. Somehow somebody must have got to them and forced them to pull over into a large car park at Dalmally to let normal traffic past.

Tractor drives, and farmers in general often have a very poor attitude to people in the area. Other industries would not get away with many of the liberties they seem to feel entitled to take.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
There was a veteran tractor rally in Oban a few years ago with about 30 vehicles as I remember. On a wet Monday morning they set off in convoy in July or August {cannot now remember which] towards Crianlarich.
We had a hospital appointment in Glasgow and I gave 3 hours for a journey that would normally take me about 2 hours. Caught up with the idiots doing about 18mph at Connel. With heavy oncoming traffic and only one small space between tractors it was impossible to safely overtake. It took me nearly one hour to do a section which would normally take 10 minutes and saw some of the most dangerous driving ever. A touring coach nearly took out some oncoming vehicles at one point.
Nightmare of the most inconsiderate road behaviour I have ever seen. Somehow somebody must have got to them and forced them to pull over into a large car park at Dalmally to let normal traffic past.

That's really poor form.
They should have spread out, and kept themselves in smaller groups to allow overtaking.

Giving tractor drivers a bad name like that :cursing:

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member

Agricultural vehicles used to be rich pickings for offences. The amount I personally stopped that had no defects and weren't commiting document offences was very small.

And then if they were actually legal you didn't usually have to follow them for long before they commited a moving traffic offence.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
a tractor overtook us on a club ride once, i jumped off the back of the pack and followed him for a bit, the group was laughing when he switched on the manure flicker and tried to get me with a few left over lumps........bloody bugger he was lol

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Agricultural vehicles used to be rich pickings for offences. The amount I personally stopped that had no defects and weren't commiting document offences was very small.

And then if they were actually legal you didn't usually have to follow them for long before they commited a moving traffic offence.
These guys were no longer working vehicles but just hobbies so probably all roadworthy. Only the drivers and organisers were deficient.
I was once at a vintage vehicle event in Shetland which took place every 2 years. The steam ones were driving all over the place but were never a problem because they were single or in pairs and easy to pass. I think I posted some pictures earlier. Met a small convoy of vintage Bentleys on Unst.
Must cost them all a fortune to get to Shetland as many were from England and brought on transporters.
Great event.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's really poor form.
They should have spread out, and kept themselves in smaller groups to allow overtaking.

Giving tractor drivers a bad name like that :cursing:
Agree and that was said accompanied with a great deal of profanity. Somebody must have phoned the police but they did not respond while I was caught up in it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Tractor drives, and farmers in general often have a very poor attitude to people in the area. Other industries would not get away with many of the liberties they seem to feel entitled to take.
These were not working tractors but just big boy's toys which made the situation even worse.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Generally, yes, though that depends on how much space there is. I've even turned around and ridden back 100 yards to a gateway when I came across a tractor that really filled the road.

But in your case, while I would probably have stopped to watch, there was actually plenty of room to pass without stopping, unless the video is rather deceptive.

Well, I know that lane, it's approx 2.5 miles long and it is a lot narrower in parts plus edges are broken and riddled with potholes. I wasn't in a hurry plus I think 'it's the right thing to do' and makes it less stressful for the tractor drivers.

P.S 46 tractors + 2 others.

Last edited:

They should have been magic, and turned into a field.

freiston

Veteran
I started watching the video and thought to myself right from the start, "Yes, wait and let it pass". Then I saw there was another one, and another one etc.. I wasn't expecting that many!

Not that the number of them would affect my decision, but even I was beginning to think it was a bit OTT and maybe the organisers could have done it better, not least by having some sort of identifiable marshall at the front and back that could forewarn and communicate to other road users and the convoy.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Looking at the footage from an island perspective I think there was plenty of room to continue cycling. Imagine that lot on a busy A85 main road tho’.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
I have since discovered there was a vintage tractor rally in a village just a mile away from where I met the tractors. There was also an ongoing (6 week) road closure that probably left them with no option but to use this lane 'cut through'
I actually met them all again during my 24 mile ride ?
They were probably doing a circular tour to show off ?
This time they were all parked alongside the verge of another countryside road while one tractor seemed to be getting first aid. :laugh:
I had some friendly 'banter' with some drivers to the effect that they were stalking me.

Top Bottom