Cycling a narrow lane, do you wait and let the Tractor pass ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes I'd defintely stop and wait for the reasons mentioned above, but also because some tractors will have somehting on the back (a hay turner, harrows, link box etc) and it's not always visible until you get up close. Hay turners especially stick out a lot and you don't want to catch your leg on one of those

I thought I'd chosen a quiet Sunday lunchtime to transport a rather large piece of kit, on a trailer from one site to another..

Only over four miles but still, narrow twisty and hilly through steep hedgebanks.

What I hadn't realised is that there was a main road closure which was diverting all the local pub traffic my way.

I certainly got my fair share of reversing practice that day..

Oh and the cheery
"No, no, you're welcome" waves .

After the third time of backing up, that got a bit forced .

byegad

Legendary Member
The bloody minded side of me says let them wait and take your time. This because so many working tractor drivers never pull over to let a queue through. On the Whitby Moors road from Guisborough a couple of weeks ago we saw two tractors, towing hay and in close convoy coming towards us. Three miles down the road, and I was doing 55mph, the end of that queue appeared!

But really it would do no good to hold them up in this case and any meeting of tractor and cyclist is only going to end one way!

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
For those that don't know I live and ride in Swaledale North Yorkshire and tractors are an occupationl hazard on the country roads around here,
as are horseriders, loose sheep, and I have met a herd of cows before now. They were followed shortly by a farmer on a 'buggy' asking "have you seen any cattle" ? :laugh:
Sheep herding on a bike

N;B You have to curse at them else they don't listen :laugh:

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
Ive only been riding a couple of months but have realised its best to err on the safe side when being passed on single track roads. Whether being over taken or avoiding oncoming its tempting to hug the curb and keep going...but trouble is the edge of the road can be bumpy and it only takes a few twitches and youre heading for the scenery or worse bouncing back into the path of the car/tractor. So i gauge each encounter carefully and rather stop than be eating hospital food!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Ive only been riding a couple of months but have realised its best to err on the safe side when being passed on single track roads. Whether being over taken or avoiding oncoming its tempting to hug the curb and keep going...but trouble is the edge of the road can be bumpy and it only takes a few twitches and youre heading for the scenery or worse bouncing back into the path of the car/tractor. So i gauge each encounter carefully and rather stop than be eating hospital food!

As a long time rider of narrow lanes , I'd generally advise to keep to that approach.
I've had a few bumps and scrapes, and a lot of brambles across the legs or throat.

But I've not (yet) fetched up in hospital, whilst defiantly claiming that I was just 'taking up my space'

For those that don't know I live and ride in Swaledale North Yorkshire and tractors are an occupationl hazard on the country roads around here,
as are horseriders, loose sheep, and I have met a herd of cows before now. They were followed shortly by a farmer on a 'buggy' asking "have you seen any cattle" ? :laugh:
Sheep herding on a bike

In a former life, I worked a lot in the Wolds, and I soon learned what was coming when I saw trailers straddling the field entrances.

The farmers used them to stop the cattle going into the wrong one as they herded them down the lanes, and straight around any vehicles unfortunate enough to be trying to go in the opposite direction. I was glad I wasn't on my bike, as they took up hedgerow to hedgerow. :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Sheep herding on a bike

I did sheep herding on bike too, caught up with a farmer in France who was moving some, so we gave him a hand, kept them moving from behind whilst he made sure they didnt shoot off down the odd side road. I born and raised on a farm so all in days work!

freiston

Veteran
This week I have mostly been herding young pheasants.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If it’s Jeremy Clarkson‘s Lamborghini tractor (and he’s driving), yes.

1631556544333.jpeg

Top Bottom