Cycling a narrow lane, do you wait and let the Tractor pass ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I was riding in deepest North Suffolk when a mini overtook me. Then another mini. Then another mini. Then another 50-100 minis , I lost count. Someone had been robbed of a lot of gold bullion.
Not a lot of people knew that

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Agricultural vehicles used to be rich pickings for offences. The amount I personally stopped that had no defects and weren't commiting document offences was very small.

I remember spotting a ringer running round in west Cornwall about 8 or 9 years ago. To me, it was really blatant so the local plod must have been blind. It had a dateless reg number, showed up on DVLA as a 1964 John Deere, but was actually a huge modern 4 wheel drive John Deere from the 2000's. Whether it was a stolen one using a dodgy ID I have no idea, but it certainly wasn't built in 1964!:eek:

Drago

Legendary Member
^^^ A lot of Land Rovers pull that wheeze and I caught my fair share. Clearly modern Defenders, but registered as Series II's. Often farmers as well. They have this funny idea that as long as it contains the chassis plate and the odd item from the original when it can carry on using that ID.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yes, owning one myself I'm well aware there's a lot of dodgy examples even apart from the coil sprung fakes but if you know all the subtle differences between the different year models they aren't hard to spot. Some are kosher in the chassis department, so are legal ID-wise, but are a mish-mash of different vintage mechanical and bodywork parts. Unscrupulous sellers try to pass them off as truly original vehicles which are more valuable!

CXRAndy

Guru
We had a local tractor fair recently. They then went on a cruise around the villages. I managed to get in the middle of the convoy for a couple of miles.

I was following an old Lambourgini tractor. :laugh: Clarkson type

There must have been a 100 tractors that day.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yeahbut if it’s a Fiat or similar that’s a bit like saying I’ve got a chair.

It's a SAME..

You posted a picture of a knob in a tractor cab...

Well here's a picture of mine 😊

Alex321

Veteran
I remember spotting a ringer running round in west Cornwall about 8 or 9 years ago. To me, it was really blatant so the local plod must have been blind. It had a dateless reg number, showed up on DVLA as a 1964 John Deere, but was actually a huge modern 4 wheel drive John Deere from the 2000's. Whether it was a stolen one using a dodgy ID I have no idea, but it certainly wasn't built in 1964!:eek:
Perhaps it was a personal plate?

You can put them on tractors just as much as on any other vehicle. You aren't allowed to use a more recent plate than the vehicle registratin date, but you are allowed to use older ones.

Reactions: C R

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You and Clarkson sat down having a discussion about farming methods, that’s something I’d like to see :laugh:

Ha !

Although from what I hear of his telly progs, he's actually acknowledged that it's not all quite as simple as first appears..

Top Bottom