Cycling and mental well being

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi
You read quite a lot about the positive connection between excerise and mental well being.
It really became quite apparent as to how true this is today.
I must admit I've let my cycling adventures somewhat slip these last few months. In fact I only went out on the bike once in December and prior months before that, my monthly mileage has dropped (a far cry from the summer months)
My excuses are the usual ones that many a cyclist would use ashamably.
Work load getting to intense resulting in coming home knackered,and then once home your constantly catching up on all those neglected jobs.The winter/darker months also add to the excuses of not getting out there and turning the peddles.
Without even realizing it your bike has become an expensive paper weight gathering dust.
I've also noticed my mood and inthusiasm towards life has very
slowly dropped down over this time.Every week seems to be just rolling by ,and merging into one long grey loop.I always find Christmas a difficult time for personal reasons, and for some reason this one seems particularly worse ( I don't know why as there's no reason it should be).
Anyway today I got up and whilst making a morning brew I turned round and looked at my bike parked up against the radiator in the kitchen and realized I couldn't remember the last time I actually rode it!!
Sitting on the sofa I thought ,am I going to sit in front of the tv again and watch some more rubbish ,or am I going to get off my lazy backside and go for a bike ride?
It must of been an omen , because as soon as I thought this, the sun made an unusual appearance (bearing in mind it's Wales:-))
So I pumped the tyre's up ,dug out my cycling clothing and headed off into countryside for a blast on the bike. Getting out and away from the 4 walls and the tv, and seeing some beautiful views and fellow cyclists felt like I had been released from captivity.The speed and pace I had through the summer was no where to be seen ,but the reward of freedom and pushing myself was second to none.
I managed around 26 miles, and once home I felt somewhat renergised mentally. Tonight still feeling the buzz I'm now planning tomorrows ride and feel like my old self again.
It's so very easy to let things slip when you're lifestyle is busy with work ect.and it's usually exercise that gets neglected first. I think exercise/cycling is not just about keeping your fitness in check.I think it's benefits in mental well being has a much greater benefit and the physical benefits are a bonus.
All the very best,
Johnny.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Cycling = good mental health .....
No brainer ....... never has been....
^_^

13 rider

Guru
2021 was a terrible year personally for me and one of the things that got me thought it my cycling . I seem to be able to zone out while riding and just think about turning the pedals . There were times the mojo waned but thanks to family support telling me to you for a ride I managed to keep getting out and I was thankful for that

Gunk

Guru
For me, both cycling and motorcycling just gives me sense of freedom and wellbeing, when I’m on two wheels I just manage to switch off. I took my motorcycle out this morning in filthy weather to meet a couple of mates for breakfast, as the sun came up I had this warm glow of contentment and inner peace, no technology, no worries or anxiety, just a feeling of well being and happiness. (Plus it is my Birthday today so that probably helped!)

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
For me, both cycling and motorcycling just gives me sense of freedom and wellbeing, when I’m on two wheels I just manage to switch off. I took my motorcycle out this morning in filthy weather to meet a couple of mates for breakfast, as the sun came up I had this warm glow of contentment and inner peace, no technology, no worries or anxiety, just a feeling of well being and happiness. (Plus it is my Birthday today so that probably helped!)
Happy Birthday @Gunk

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cycling in the late evening, and watching the birds in our garden, were the only things that vaguely maintained my sanity during the long lockdowns. @Ming the Merciless absolutely nailed it. You are alert and concentrating on a bike but your mind can somehow gloriously run free at the same time.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
agree but wonder whether this theory extends to the strava community - those figures - past, future, to be studied on return.
I think that both walking and cycling it will be better to be aware of your surroundings, bird song, views, etc.rather than focusing on listening to something on headphones or concentrating on beating a personal best. I've seen people striding around the paths near here with their head down and earphones in. For me it's important to see and hear what's going on around me.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would never listen to headphones when walking in a rural setting as I want to be aware of my surroundings. It's important to me.

I used to try listening to music when walking around town but with the noise of traffic you need it stupidly loud to hear it and besides, I am a music lover and I actively sit and listen to music and enjoy it rather than just use it as background noise.

Well done @johnnyb47 . I think you've commented before about finding it difficult to get out on the bike so it's definitely progress and inspirational.

Ironically, I was going to suggest Strava (or similar) as a great motivational tool😊. Not the numbers, necessarily, but it's a great way to record a ride, include pictures and comments, notes or just how it made you feel. It can be entirely private and doesn't need to be shared. The next time the enthusiasm is lagging such an easily accessible "memory" device may be the difference between a day of tv on the couch and a day in the saddle.

The same effect can be achieved in a number of ways. If you have a smartphone the options are endless from simple photos and notes to voice memos - a personal motivational message if you like.

I know that after one tour I made up a large poster of 36 "roadshots" that hung over my bed. It was a great motivator in terms of reminding me what was possible on a bike.

Top Bottom