Cycling and the Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
DSCF4960.JPG

I once owned this ... :whistle:

Crankarm

Guru
So is wheel sucking, sorry drafting, a no-no with the corona virus out there? In fact can you even ride closely two abreast any more? If in a group/peloton do you have to keep your distance from fellow riders? Less chance of wheels touching and riders going down. Does the group size have an upper limit? Just curious. I guess snotting is out.

Crankarm

Guru
I would expect cycle riders with good lungs would be slightly better at coping with CV

Not so with CV. The CV can quite easily and painfully destroy the lungs. Look up the 1918 Spanish Flu that killed 50-70 million world wide. Also X-rays of healthy people who have contracted CV this time around in China and Italy. It is frightening. The human population no defence against this new virus. Maybe anti-viral drugs for HIV and malaria work but this testing is on going.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
I'm not an expert, but I've heard it's more to do with how the immune system responds. Often, it's the immune system's response that kills the person. Search for cytokine storm.

The virus somehow gets our body's immune system to attack our own cells e.g. the lungs so you cannot breath which also enables pneumonia to get a hold. Obviously anyone with underlying health conditions what ever age will be at very high risk.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
This cyclist ran out of toilet paper and is off on a mission to the supermarket to find some.

I don't think he is going to have a problem with others wanting to cycle beside or behind him.

Ashimoto

Seems a bit risky with at least 6 riders. How close to each other were they? Should there be a minimum distance? May Boris could come up with some guidelines?
They were riding single file but theres wasnt a great deal of distance between each rider

nagden

Über Member
I am still riding here in France, but I am a little confused. Following the new measures announced by President Macron on Monday it was stated that you could leave your house briefly for physical activity in your area as long as you had a self certificated declaration with you. I have a 10k circuit within my village that I do several times, just to keep things ticking over. However I read on some French forums people are stopping in case they crash and put extra pressure on a stretched health service. I have read that cycling has been banned in Spain for that reason. What to do?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am still riding here in France, but I am a little confused. Following the new measures announced by President Macron on Monday it was stated that you could leave your house briefly for physical activity in your area as long as you had a self certificated declaration with you. I have a 10k circuit within my village that I do several times, just to keep things ticking over. However I read on some French forums people are stopping in case they crash and put extra pressure on a stretched health service. I have read that cycling has been banned in Spain for that reason. What to do?
Keep riding? Be cautious and try even harder than usual to avoid crashing. An increase in inactivity-related hospitalisations will do no good.

Top Bottom