Cycling and the Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Social rides will be one of the last things to stop. They're mostly people from the same locale and it's important to keep fit when bugs are around. Racing has already started cancelling, partly because ambulance cover is unavailable rather than BC policy, but I think regional racing is still happening.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/stat...s-and-advice-cycling-uk-groups-and-volunteers

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/r...ritish-Cycling-Coronavirus-COVID19-Guidance-0
another one refused to ride as we had a cake stop and didnt want to risk infection

Milzy

Guru
another one refused to ride as we had a cake stop and didnt want to risk infection
What a snow flake if they were under 70.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I had a severe viral infection before Christmas which put me out of action for 5 weeks, and I'm certain I picked it up while riding on deeply flooded country lanes, awash with who knows what diluted animal fluids and excrements, flushed out of the adjoining farms and fields. Not only did I have the usual flu-like symptoms - headache, chills, fever, and a very painful chest - but I also developed cold sore-like areas around my mouth and nose painful and bleeding. Later chest x-rays proved clear, but blood test levels took some weeks to return to normal. I realised after the onset that during the ride I had not thought to clean the mouthpiece of my drinks bottle, which had inevitably caught spray from the flooded roads. I now make sure it's cleaned before taking a drink!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The article I saw was on Google Friday from U.K. cycling
UK Cycling is a sportive organiser, plus Google summaries aren't always accurate.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My "lifestyle situation" means I don't naturally come into contact with a lot of people regularly and I see my elderly mother fairly often (and want to avoid infecting her after getting it myself), so I'm shooting for the "isolate and avoid all together" approach to the virus; and only plan to expose myself to other people during occasional trips to the shops to get food.

From the transmission mechanisms quoted (i.e. the most likely way of getting infected being getting sneezed / coughed on and to a lesser extent through direct touch / contaminated surfaces) I'm guessing that solo, mostly rural rides with no stops should be extremely low-risk and (until martial law and a shoot-to-kill policy are announced by the goverment) we should be fine continuing to ride under these circumstances..?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, just being outside is not a risk. It's important to keep fit and keep your lungs cleared out so you're better able to deal with coronavirus or any other illness. If you're in a high-risk group then you obviously need to take more care, like avoiding cafés. Your immune system is weakened for a couple of hours immediately following hard exercise, so staggering into the fug of a greasy spoon crammed with people is a no-no!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
and I'm certain I picked it up while riding on deeply flooded country lanes, awash with who knows what diluted animal fluids and excrements, flushed out of the adjoining farms and fields.

Sounds like a typical MTB ride for me. Add in rat pee too. I ride through a few farm yards on my routes too. :whistle:

Top Bottom