Cycling and the Coronavirus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
What are the chances of a cyclist contacting Coronavirus ? as it is a respiratory infection I guess and I am only guessing it must be slim as most cyclists are always blowing hard so you blow out any thing bad that you breathe in

vickster

Legendary Member
What are the chances of a cyclist contacting Coronavirus ? as it is a respiratory infection I guess and I am only guessing it must be slim as most cyclists are always blowing hard so you blow out any thing bad that you breathe in
As someone who rides a bike, have you ever caught a cold (or if male, man flu ;) )? It's a very similar means of contracting both (it also lives on surfaces such as skin and not just in the air).

Just stay away from every other human being or anywhere another human being might have been

Johnno260

Veteran
In the open I can't believe the virus would live for long, cold, rain, UV etc more likely to get it from a door handle in a public space.

Cycling gets you away from common transmission vectors such as handrails on public transport and breathing in coughs and sneezes.
The daily dose of excercise in cold fresh air seems to strengthen the immune system.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Cycling gets you away from common transmission vectors such as handrails on public transport and breathing in coughs and sneezes.
The daily dose of excercise in cold fresh air seems to strengthen the immune system.
Was thinking just the same as your first point.. granted everyone's circumstances are different; however regardless of whether it's your chosen form of recreation or necessary transport cycling is going to get you out in the open and away from others (a compelling argument even without the slim threat of death thrown in!).

From the perspective of alternative transport, on the road you're away from densely-packed pavements, busses, trains.. cars if you would otherwise be travelling with one or more passengers. Alternatively if you're a only a recreational rider, you're still likely to be better off than if your alternative choice of sport or hobby involved being indoors / around others.

Also stands to reason that if you're a regular cyclist you're likely to be more healthy and resistant to infection. The flip side I suppose is that this might go the other way if you're in the habit of exhausting yourself or maybe get caught out in the cold / rain..

Common sense says to avoid all possible sources of exposure in the event of a widespread outbreak (which may or may not happen) and I think cycling would certainly help in this regard to some extent.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You catch viruses by touching contaminated objects then rubbing your eyes or picking your nose and occasionally when somebody sneezes near you. That's why you should always wash hands on entering your house and before sitting down at your computer; you can create a germ-free environment for yourself.

I was reading a similar thing on a running forum - there was a point made there that after immediately completing an endurance event you immune system takes a hit due to the stress you have put it under.

Personally keeping your cardio V intact has to be good thing with a respiratory virus doing the rounds.

Top Bottom