Cycling B&B in the foothills of the Pyrenees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
The village of Janovas near us. Was abandoned when they were going to build a dam and flood the valley. Then they changed their minds. Now I see people are starting to renovate a few of the buildings . . .

You can ride through this village on Zona Zero Route 6 Light.

I imagine it's a bit creepy at night!

P1010479 (768x1024).jpg
P1010481 (1024x768).jpg
P1010482 (768x1024).jpg
P1010483 (1024x768).jpg
P1010486 (1024x768).jpg
P1010489 (1024x768).jpg
P1010491 (768x1024).jpg
P1010493 (768x1024).jpg
P1010496 (1024x768).jpg
P1010501 (1024x768).jpg

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
002.jpg

This morning we signed an agreement with our neighbour with respect to putting windows into the front wall of "the tower". We've taken the agreement to the municipal architect up in Ainsa Old Town and the secretary there has said we could have the license "in a week or so". I'll believe that when it happens - meanwhile we plan to go back on Thursday morning to chase things up. We've had enough of waiting now - winter will be on its way soon!

We appreciate all the good wishes, support and ideas on how to dispose of a neighbours body if necessary. We certainly have some good and creative friends around us . . .

B.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We appreciate all the good wishes, support and ideas on how to dispose of a neighbours body if necessary. We certainly have some good and creative friends around us . . .
:laugh: He didn't go that far, but I knew someone who was so annoyed with his neighbour that he jumped the fence in the dead of night and, uh, "adjusted" the markers for the foundations of a new building that seemed sited mainly as an FU to him (and was approximately three floors tall before he objected to loss of light - it was one level before they got permission, but that was still taller than the wall beyond it).

I've not looked for a few years and I can't see it on Streetview because they've planted hedges in front of the twisted walls, but as far as I know, there is still a building with an interesting discontinuity where they cut a layer of bricks about ankle-height to get the building back on the level and it's slightly smaller than originally planned. I wonder how much that cost. Presumably it was cheaper than demolishing and starting over, but can't have been by much...

I still don't really understand the beggar-thy-neighbour attitude, but maybe that's because I only really remember having one problem neighbour over the years and our current ones seem especially lovely.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
If you have to be stuck somewhere waiting for council officials to sort themselves out, Ainsa is not a bad choice of place to be. . . . .

Zona Zero Route ZZ019 - 23km long, 670m of climbing, 70% single track . . . .
20160919_180515.jpg

Nothing can spoil this view. Man I love this place.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nothing can spoil this view.
Alberto and Pepe are applying to build a tower block in the morning... ;)

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
MEMO0011.JPG
MEMO0012.JPG
MEMO0015.JPG
MEMO0006.JPG
P1010506.JPG
P1010518.JPG
P1010536.JPG
What a weekend! Yesterday we spent the day picking grapes down in the Ramon & Rosa's vineyard, today we spent the day at the farmhouse sorting, stomping and pressing. Tomorrow we will pick again and Tuesday we should finish the last of the processing. Then the grape just must sit for a while :-)

We've enjoyed it but I can tell you these old guys know how to do a hard days work. And all of it with a chat and a smile - as if it were no work at all.

Here's some pics, including one of Mrs Bonus with one of next years "glasses of wine".

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Nice. It reminds me of the French cycling tour I just finished a bit over a week ago, one of the highlights including 3 days spent on the French side of the Pyrenees, climbing such peaks as the Col du Tourmalet. Absolutely gorgeous views and nice weather (high 20s). :smile:

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
S.U.L - The Tourmalet is just over the border from us.

Primarily Ainsa is known for it's MTB trails but the road riding here is great too. Loads of famous T de F climbs within reasonable driving distance.

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
We have heard from the Municipal Architect in Ainsa and he is happy with our house plans and the agreements we have with our neighbours regarding access to our property etc.

He has forwarded our file to the regional architects office in Huesca (the main town nearby) for final approval. . . . we might actually be getting there now!

:-)

OP
OP
Bonus

Bonus

Veteran
5 days of picking grapes, stomping grapes and eating grapes! All done now - yesterday we finished cleaning up. Now we wait a fortnight for the grape juice to ferment.

We were finished by lunchtime so I was able to get back out on the Zona Zero trails yesterday afternoon for a ride.

Top Bottom