Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton. A fascinating insight into road riding lore and a shocking twist at the end.
I read it when it was first published. I spotted a copy going for £2 in a bookshop in Halifax yesterday so I bought it to read again and will be donating it to the CycleChat virtual library in the New Year! :thumbsup:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
'Tomorrow, we ride' - Jean Bobet (though the original French title - "Demain, on roule", sounds so-o much more atmospheric :thumbsup:)

The story of Jean Bobet, a professional cyclist (now leading cycling journalist) and his more famous brother, Louison - TdF Winner in 1953/4/5. Very moving at the end too.

I read it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Want to read it again but can't find it in the house now .....

Aspull Velo

Regular
Could I suggest Fallen Angel: The Passion of Fausto Coppi by William Fotheringham? I thought it was a first rate biogarpahy. Although it's had mixed reviews I personally quite enjoyed Bad Blood: The Secret Life of the Tour De France by Jeremy Whittle.

Tompinder

Regular
Agree with comments on David Millar's book. A great insight into the world of EPO abuse and, at times, quite a harrowing account of his cycling experience. Would personally recommend to anyone.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I found "Slaying The Badger" in my local library the other day. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I'd say it's one of the best, if not the best, cycling books I've ever read.

Highly recommended and gripping reading.

shortercranks

How I won the Yellow Jumper - Very entertaining account of Ned Boulting's career covering the Tour. I laughed aloud at the end.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
One that I'm currently enjoying, but is best read by dipping in and out of it (ideal for your Armitage Shanks' library) is: The Story of the Giro d'Italia, A Year by Year History of the Tour of Italy, Volume On: 1909-1970, by Bill and Carol McGann.

There's a lot of stuff crammed in and it's obviously been painstakingly researched, full of info about the race, the riders, the bikes and background about the history of Italy too. I was disappointed that there weren't more pictures in it though, it's a bit annoying when the author refers to interesting pictures he has and they aren't in the book!

mattsr

How I won the Yellow Jumper - Very entertaining account of Ned Boulting's career covering the Tour. I laughed aloud at the end.

I've read that and I agree, it's very entertaining. And I will add another vote for A Race for Mad Men: The Extraordinary History of the Tour de France by Chris Sidwells. I'm about half way through, and it's a fascinating read- and also laugh-out loud funny in places!

shortercranks

Another vote for Tomorrow We Ride by Jean Bobet. One I will read again soon.
Another favourite that I re read often is Paul Fournel's Need For The Bike. All cyclists will identify with his short and beautifully written observations on a cycling life. The blurb on the back cover encapsulates it well: In his attention to the pleasures of cycling, to the specific 'grain' of different cycling experiences, and to the inscription of these experiences in the body's cycling memory, Fournel portrays cycling as a descriptive universe, colourful, lyrical, inclusive, exclusive, complete.

shortercranks

And one I could not warm to, and could not finish: Graeme Fife's The Beautiful Machine. Self indulgent and dull. Great title, shame about the rest.

I've read that and I agree, it's very entertaining. And I will add another vote for A Race for Mad Men: The Extraordinary History of the Tour de France by Chris Sidwells. I'm about half way through, and it's a fascinating read- and also laugh-out loud funny in places!
Enjoyed A Race for Mad Men and stil reading about Ned Boulting's ironing issues. Read nothing but Cycling stuff since getting a KIndle for Xmas

VamP

Banned
I found "Slaying The Badger" in my local library the other day. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and I'd say it's one of the best, if not the best, cycling books I've ever read.

Highly recommended and gripping reading.

I have just finished this, and agree completely.

Top Bottom