Cycling club etiquette - other riders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Just keen to gauge opinion on how people/clubs approach other clubs/people.
I've nothing against cycling clubs just prefer to ride on my own as it gives me the freedom to do what I like.

Situation, I'm on my winter bike for a bit of exploration around some hills I haven't done before.
I join a road at a roundabout & see another rider a short distance behind already on this road.
I decide to keep my normal pace, resist any temptation of racing & accept if they are faster they will pass me soon enough, if not, they won't.
Around five miles later I finally get passed by a three or four riders. They look the part, working hard. Fair play to them. They politely say good morning as they go by.
But then I get swamped by all the taggers on. Around fifteen of them. I try to just let them go by, but it's a painful experience as the whole group then slows down in front of me.
Now I admit I could of got an aerodynamic advantage by sitting at the back. But I'm out for my own ride. So I back off ten feet. I'm now stuck trudging along, hanging off the back like a loser for another five miles until we go our separate ways.

Should I have:
a. Moaned as soon as I got swamped & held my ground.
b. Changed my route & turned off asap.
c. Apply rule no.5 & ridden back up the front. Nailed it passed them until my lungs gave out & turned off at the next opportunity. Looks desperate but would've saved pride!
d. Increased my speed in the first place & held them off as long as I could. Looks desperate again, but I had held them off for the first five miles no problem.
e. Asked to see a copy of their club rules regarding this situation.

I not taking this too seriously. Just want to get an idea of best form of defence for any future situations.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
c.
Wait for them all to pass and then do a number on the lot of them- depending on your own speed/ strength/ ability.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had a similar problem about four years ago when I got caught on a climb by a local club out on their "take no prisoners" evening run. The leader overtook me then tucked in in front of me and slowed down and since I was hurrying to catch up with my buddy I had no choice but to overtake him, whereupon they all sat on my wheel and by the time we reached the top I was goosed and couldn't stay with them when the pace suddenly shot up to warp speed again. Nowadays I would just let them pass and sit on the back.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't get it. Why didn't you just overtake them as they slowed down and ride normally without blowing yourself up? If you end up playing leapfrog with them, it's little different to what happens with me and some people in posher cars who will go over the limit but can't seem to drive a steady speed on motorways.

Oh and just to answer the actual question: if my usual easy ride group has some other rider(s) hanging around at the back, the sweeper asks if they're happy there or want to pass and if they want to pass, there's a call of "bike(s) up" and the group goes single-file until they're past. We rarely catch anyone, though - we're going places, not going fast.

OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
Why didn't you just overtake them as they slowed down and ride normally without blowing yourself up? If you end up playing leapfrog with them.

Fair point & I probably should have employed this method. But initially I made the choice I wasn't out to race anyone. Leap frogging passed nearly twenty other cyclists again was a commitment I wasn't bothered with at the time. But in retrospect may have been a better choice even if it wasn't the easiest.

OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
c.
Wait for them all to pass and then do a number on the lot of them- depending on your own speed/ strength/ ability.
I like this option the most so far. It would have stretched me a bit but I'm sure doable.

Venod

Eh up
Just keep your normal pace, if they have slowed after passing you they will have to pick it up again to keep with you, if they are going your pace hang on the back and have an easy few miles.

OP
OP
jagman.2003

jagman.2003

Über Member
Oh and just to answer the actual question: if my usual easy ride group has some other rider(s) hanging around at the back, the sweeper asks if they're happy there or want to pass and if they want to pass, there's a call of "bike(s) up" and the group goes single-file until they're past. We rarely catch anyone, though - we're going places, not going fast.

Thanks for this info. Glad to hear there is a system in place for this in clubs.

Top Bottom